Chapter 6: The Date

Mabel shifted nervously in her seat. She wasn't used to dining in restaurants this nice. She didn't even know that Gravity Falls had a restaurant this fancy.

It was the kind of restaurant that had wine glasses already set on the cloth-draped tables, and a fountain in the center of the room. A giant crystal chandelier hung from the ceiling, tying it all together.

Mabel looked around the room at the other people in their dresses and suits. She was beginning to feeling underdressed in her own home-made purple cat sweater.

Gideon himself was dressed to impress in his black suit with his signature blue bow tie. He sat in his seat with his feet propped up on the table. With his reputation, no one dared to remind him of proper table manners.

"That carriage ride was amazing." Mabel said, trying to break the ice. There wasn't really an awkward silence, Mabel just felt uncomfortable with Gideon staring at her.

Gideon smiled "I knew you'd like it."

He had planned the night to perfection. So far, Everything had gone just as Gideon had planned.

Gideon fell silent again, taking his feet off the table and propping his chin up with his hands to stare into Mabel's eyes.

Mabel swallowed and attempted to move on to further conversation. She looked around the room once more before saying "This place is so fancy, and the water had bubbles in it??"

She  took a long sip from the glass, the bubbles tickling her throat when she swallowed,

"Ooh la la, wi wi!"

"Oh, parlez-vous français?" Gideon asked curiously.

"I have no idea what you're saying." Mabel said with a nervous smile. This made Gideon chuckle and Mabel forced a laugh in return.

"You're so charming.." Gideon said smoothly, gently taking her hand in his and smiling,
"and so beautiful."

Mabel immediately found herself blushing, and it only grew worse the longer she held his hand.

"Mabel, can I ask you something?"

Mabel nodded vigorously, "sure!" she stuttered, beaming at him.

Gideon pulled her closer to him as he asked,
"Would you do me the honor of accompanying me to the NorthWest gala this weekend?"

The entire room went dead-silent, everyone had overheard Gideon's question. Some people oohed and awed while others took out their phones to get a picture of the scene. Mabel felt the weight of the pressure settling in the pit of her stomach, everyone was watching.

"Please say you'll go." Gideon whispered in her ear, flashing a half smile to their audience
"They're expecting us."

"Uhh.." Mabel gulped, then looked deeply into Gideon's hypnotic blue eyes before finally blurting "Yes!"

The room erupted into applause and Mabel finally took a deep breath in relief. Gideon lifted her hand to his lips and kissed it, then gave her another crooked smile.

"I'll see you Friday."