Chapter 8: Niece to Grunkle

"Can you explain to me...what in the name of Holy Mackerel just happened back there??" Stan exclaimed as he rubbed an icepack on his bruised forehead.

They stood in the kitchen, currently in the middle of a heated argument. The fight wasn't going anywhere besides more shouting.

Mabel crossed her arms and shook her head, "Um, how about you explain to me how you "just happened" to show up back there!"

"Oh boy..." Dipper mumbled. He was laying on his back in the middle of the air listening to Mabel and Stan's fight. It wasn't fun but he was interested in hearing what they had to say.

Stan looked sheepish, "...I may or may have not been following you ever since your first date."

"What?!"

"But I had the right!" Stan said indignantly crossing his arms "I saved our lives back their!"

"I saved myself!" Mabel shouted back.

"Oh yeah? If I hadn't shown up who knows what would've happened!" Stan exclaimed, throwing his arms up in exasperation.

Dipper didn't say anything and neither did he want to say anything, but he was on Stan's side at the moment. Heck, if Mabel had bothered to listen to him in the first place none of it would've happened.

"I oughta ground ya!" Stan mumbled, leaning against the kitchen counter, "I oughta call your parents and send you home..."

"But Stan-"

"Not because of you, it's me." Stan said quietly.

"What was I thinking? I can't even take care of you for a month!"

He turned to face the sink and punched at the counter to get the anger out of his system.

Mabel looked guiltily down at her shoes.

"But it was my fault. I should've listened to you-" she exchanged silent glances with Dipper.

Dipper understood what she was staying to say, and accepted it as an apology. He nodded back with a small smile in return.

"I should've listen to you, Stan. I'm sorry." She said quietly, hugging her uncle. Stan slowly looked up, turned around and hugged her back.

"It's okay, kiddo." He said, tousling her hair.
"Just promise me we won't be keeping any other secrets from each other?"

Mabel paused and sucked in a deep breath. She looked up at Dipper again. He nodded in reply. Once again, he understood what she was trying to say.

"Grunkle Stan...I have something I need to show you."

. . . . . . . .

"I found the third copy in the woods my first day in town, Gideon had the others until now."
Mabel explained.

Stan silently flipped through the journals with a perplexed look on his face. He scratched his stubble in deep thought as he read.

"I know it sounds crazy, but it's all real. I've seen it." Mabel said, wincing as she waited for his reaction.

"...is it crazy?"

Dipper held his breath in anticipation and sat on the edge of his seat.

Stan sucked in a deep breath and snapped the journal shut.

"...I'm glad you showed me this..." he said solemnly, then immediately burst into sudden hysteric laughter.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!"

Dipper sighed and rolled his eyes.

"I should've known he wouldn't understand." He said to his sister.

"No wonder you keep going on about ghost and monsters- this spooky book's been filling your head with all sorts of crazy paranormal junk!"

"But it's not junk!" Mabel exclaimed, reaching out to grab the journal. Stan snatched it away and belted out another roar of laughter.

"I could use some of this stuff for a new attraction!" Stan thought out loud to himself, snatching up the other two journals and walking out of the room.

"But Stan-!"

"Ha! Lepricorns! That's hysterical!" He laughed before slamming the door behind him.

Mabel sighed and slid down to the floor,
"He's never gonna believe me." She muttered.

Dipper floated down next to her and rested a glowing arm around her shoulders. He shrugged, "Oh well."

Mabel looked surprised at her brother.

"Oh well? That's all you're gonna say?"

"We survived." Dipper said simply, then staring into space, lost thought.

"I guess that's all that matters."

Mabel opened her mouth to say something then snapped it shut again. She heaved another sigh, "You're right."

She looked over at the attic door,

"But what about the journal? Don't you want it back?"

"Pfft, duh" Dipper chuckled,

"but I'm okay without it for now."

He looked at his sister with a warm smile, "we're okay without it."

"Yeah." Mabel echoed, staring out the window.

"We're okay."

To be continued in Part 2......