Chapter 17: Deal Or No Deal

When Dipper woke up, he was in the black and white log cabin again. Rain was streaming down the outside of the windows and thunder clapped in the distance.

Dipper knew what was going on and that he wasn't alone.

Dipper knew Bill was there, waiting to make his appearance.

"Piiiine Treeeee..." Bill's voice sang throughout the room.

Dipper swallowed and closed his eyes, holding his breath as he waited for the demon to appear. When he opened his eyes, Bill was hovering in front of him.

"Sleep well?" Bill asked sarcastically, twirling his cane between his fingers.

Dipper did nothing but glare at the demon.

"I'm here for my favor!"

"What?"

"I helped you out of the dream-scape, remember? Now you owe me something. We had a deal, Pine Tree."

Dipper swallowed hard. If that deal was truly binding, then there was no way out of this.

"Fine, what do you want?"

"all I want is for you to get something for me, ole buddy ole pal." he began, "Ya see, there's that rift that Fordsie's got locked up-"

"No." Dipper cut him off, his voice cracking under pressure. "I'm not gonna steal the rift, Bill."

Bill looked surprised, then sly.

"Is that so?"

If Bill had a mouth, he'd be grinning right now.

Dipper's pulse quickened as he stuttered "There has to be something that I can do instead of taking the rift- I'll do anything!"

Bill didn't look interested in this offer,
"Na, I've already got something in mind."

Dipper couldn't hold back his panic, what more could Bill want from him? There was no telling, Bill was unpredictable in a way that it was almost unnerving.

"Your sister oughta do!"

Dipper felt the blood drain from his face,
"NO!" he screamed, trying to jump at Bill.

Bill stopped him with a flick of his hand, Dipper felt a terrible sensation come over him as he was forced against the wall.

"What are you doing?!" Dipper tried to kick himself free, but nothing would work, Bill was too strong in the dream world.

"I want you to watch and see exactly what happens when you don't hold up your end of the deal..." Bill said calmly, gesturing to a hole that had appeared in the floor that acted like a screen.

It depicted Mabel walking down the attic stairs- it was morning and Dipper was still asleep- she was heading downstairs to wake him up.

Bill held up a hand, preparing to snap his fingers and send Mabel to her death.

Tears pricked Dipper's eyes, his heart racing at an indescribable rate.

Bill was blackmailing him with his own sister. He had no choice, Dipper had to give in.

"Please! I'll do anything- I'll get the rift, I swear!"

Bill stopped and stared at him in an amused way, "You swear?" he repeated, then slowly looked back down at the screen,

"On your sister's life perhaps?"

Dipper swallowed and vigorously shook his head. "Yes, I swear." his voice cracked and a single tear ran down his reddened face.

Bill clapped his hands and the screen disappeared. The force that had held Dipper was gone and he fell to the floor, gasping.

"Alrighty, then!" the demon exclaimed happily, grabbing his cane, "I'm givin' you three days until that rift's due. See ya later, kid! I'll be watching!"

Always watching