Breaking the routine

Your P.O.V.
I woke up to my alarm the same as every morning. I followed the same strict routine I did everyday. Nothing changed. You'd think the same routine everyday would get old after a while but surprisingly it hasn't. I've followed the same routine ever since I started high school.

After I finished eating breakfast I went back up to my room to grab my bag. I then headed out the door to start my walk to school.

I don't really have friends to talk to, so I don't like getting there early. I always feel awkward doing nothing while just waiting for the bell to ring. But I have it planned so everyday I get there perfectly on time. If you're wondering about the no friends thing, well... I'm kinda a social outcast. My mom tries to convince me I'm not, but I am. Honestly I'm just kinda shy. I get anxious easily and I don't know how to approach anyone. And of course nobody comes to me, which probably wouldn't help. I'd probably freeze or stutter, like always. I've learned to cope with it though, so no worries.

I step into the front doors of the school. My vision on my feet as always. I look at the watch on my wrist. By the time the bell goes off, I'll have just seated.

Suddenly my foot catches on the heel of my other shoe, and I fall forward onto my stomach, the book I was holding skidding across the hall. Did I mention I'm fairly clumsy? I quickly scramble to my feet and scurry to grab my book when another student kicks it farther down the hall. I try to get to it but it's blocked by a cluster of students busy at their lockers, mingling with others, or trying to get to class.

I finally manage to grab it after almost being trampled on. I look at my watch and see that the bell will ring in 30 seconds. No way I'm making it to class on time. I guess being planned to the second isn't always the best idea.

Anxiety rises within me as I realize I'm going to be late. I've never been late before. I shiver as the thought of being reprimanded crosses my mind. I gather the little courage I have and head to the office. My stomach twisting with each step.

When I enter there is only one other student there. Dash Parr. I don't know much about him, but I do know that he's a sophomore like me and the schools #1 in track. He's also known for his pranks. Although he's never been caught for any of them, but everyone just knows it's him. I keep my head low as I walk past him to get my late slip.While I'm waiting for the lady to finish writing the info on the small piece paper, I overhear his conversation with the principle.

"What did you do this time Mr. Parr?"

"I didn't do anything Ms. Landin."

"Okay then, what were you accused of doing?"

"Putting glue on the janitors' brooms."

"Oh Mr. Parr what am I going to do with you... So you proclaim not to have done this?"

"I didn't ma'am."

"And I'm assuming there's no evidence for this either, so I cannot punish you in any way..." She sounds disappointed. "Mr. Parr, would you mind escorting this young lady to class?"

I looked up, curious of who she was talking about, only to find her gesturing to me. I froze. Why would he need to escort me?! Why would she ask him to do that?! I grab the pink slip of paper from the lady and walk to the door. My eyes glued back on my shoes. I hear him catch up and walk beside me.

Just please don't talk to me. I don't really think I can talk to anyone and I don't really even want to talk to him. Not trying to be mean, but his pranks aren't the nicest and how much better can his personality be?

"So... Late huh? gotta a reason, or did ya just feel like it?" Great, he's talking to me. Just try to ignore him.

"Okay then... What class did you feel like being tardy for?" Ignore him (y/n). Just ignore him.

"Hmm...Silent type eh? Well I'm Dash, in case you haven't heard. You know, this school best track star?" Tsk, cocky much? No (y/n) don't listen! Ignore! Ignore!!! IGNORE!!!!!

"I don't remember ever seeing you before. Are you new or am I just oblivious." Of course he hasn't seen me before. I doubt anyone even knows I was there.

"Okay. If you can actually talk, then at lest tell me your name." I figure I could possibly tell him that...

"(y/n)" I manage to choke out in a barley audible squeak. It was was so quiet I'm surprised he even heard. I know he heard me squeak though, because he chuckled in return. I turn my head the opposite direction, my face red from embarrassment. He's laughing at you!! You just made a fool of yourself in front of the first person you've talked to you, your age, in forever!!

"So...you can talk. For a second I thought you might be mute." I can't help but feel upset, because people probably do think that of me.

I look up to see that we've passed my class. So I turn around and start walking towards it, when I'm stopped by Dash's voice.

"Are you trying to ditch me now?" He try's to sound hurt but it's obviously fake.

I turn around and say quietly, "We've passed my class already."

"In that case then, I'll see ya 'round." I turn around to go to class, "Oh and (y/n)?" I face dash once again. "I like your name." I blush lightly, and look down, before heading off to class.

When I got there, the teacher was nice about it. Since it was my first time. I sat down in the back as usual, and while the teacher was handing papers, I let my mind think...think about Dash.

I honestly don't know what to think of him. First he seemed arrogant and unpleasant, then he gives me a compliment? I'm intrigued to find out who he really is, but I'm not sure I can stand another conversation with him. If he'll even talk to me ever again.

Then I think back to his conversation with the principle. Wait... Was him walking me to class supposed to be some kind of unofficial punishment? Maybe I'm just over-thinking things.