To my Rescue

Today is the all awaited day. The day the project is due.

I'm going in slightly earlier to drop off the poster in the history classroom. It would be pretty awkward if I had to lug it around all day.

I tug the straps of my backpack on and stare at the poster, trying to figure out the best way to hold it. I try griping it under one arm but it keeps slipping down. I switch it to the other side but I should have figured that wouldn't help.

After trying ten different ways I end up holding it similar to a puppy begging, with my hands grabbing the center and tucked to my chest. I've decided that I hate holding posters.

I walk out the door to my house and begin my walk to school. My mind wanders as it usually does when I'm alone.

I think of lunch yesterday. I sat outside again because I've come to enjoy the peace and the gentle breeze that blows. The difference was that Dash had come found me for the second half. I was pleasantly surprised.

He even asked if I'd like to hang out with him on Saturday. I get butterflies at the thought. He said we could figure out the details today.

I push through the front doors of the school, quickly making my way through the halls, my knuckles gripping the poster board tightly, scared of dropping it.

I enter the classroom and see one other person putting theirs in a pile next to the teachers desk. When they're done I gradually went up and set mine down on top. I look up seeing no one else in the room. As I start for the door I look at the seat Dash usually sits in and find myself relieved that I won't be receiving his usual upset look.

The day steadily goes by and i feel my stomach yearning for lunch. So when the time comes I rush for the the area outside, the slightest wish that I could run at super speed comes to mind.

Crashing down at, what has become, my regular spot, I pull out my lunch, my stomach growling excitedly. The first bite tastes like rainbows and I start to slow down after that. I constantly glance around as I eat, waiting.

I'm a little more than half way through my lunch when Dash shows up. We smile at each other as he takes a seat next to me. He doesn't have his lunch with him so I guess he already finished.

"Hey." He starts, "How's your lunch?"

"Fine, how was yours?"

"As good as school lunch can get."

My smile brightens slightly. "I dropped the poster off this morning."

"Good. I bet we're going to get an A, and it'll be all thanks to you."

"It wasn't all me."

"It was mostly you."

I turn away somewhat, trying to hide the humongous smile on my face, and take another bite of my lunch.

"So what should we do tomorrow?"

"I don't know. Whatever you want to do." After I say that an idea comes to mind, but I feel it's too late to say.

"Are you sure?" He asks with an almost knowing smile on his face.

"Well...there is this place..."

"Okay, what is it?"

"It's this café I know, that has the most amazing hot chocolate. It's smells so good no matter what the season. They also have doughnuts and croissants, the doughnuts are my favorite. I just can't help but scarf them down every time. But usually I'll just get the sweet hot chocolatey goodness..." it's at this point I realize I'm rambling like a weirdo. I turn giving him an embarrassed, apologetic smile. "Sorry..."

"About what? It sounds like a five star joint." He smirks. "Would you like to meet there at noon?"

"Sure! I'll text you the directions!" I say beaming.

"Sounds like a plan."

Shortly after I finish my food, the bell rings and we head to class. I sit in my seat and watch Dash goes to his.

I can't distinguish what the pang I feel is, when he chats lively with his friends. Possibly jealousy, but I don't want to be jealous. I know he has other friends and I shouldn't expect him to only talk to me. Maybe it's just that he looks so vibrant with them and I'll never be able to act that fun-loving in front of him, or anyone.

I stare, a little downcast, at my desk, until I snap my head up at the teacher speaking.

"Today you'll be presenting your projects."

My eyes widen and my mouth goes dry. "Present?" I whisper out of disbelief. I didn't know we'd have to present! I am horrible at presenting!

"When you come up here just hold up your poster and share a few facts you learned. We'll decide who goes based on who's name is drawn out of my jar." He turns around and grabs a colorful glass jar. He closes his eyes, sticks his hand inside, and picks out a name.

Please don't be me, please don't be me, please don't be me, please don't be me, please don't be- "Piper Alan." Whew, "Piper, who is your partner?"

"Lou." She chirps.

"Alright, Piper and Lou please come up here and share your project with the class."

They got up, grabbed their poster, said a few things, then went and sat down, handing their project to Mr. Mappin on the way back. I'm both happy and sad that it was was quick. Happy, because mine can be quick too, but sad because that means my turns will be sooner rather than later.

"Next will be...Dash. Who's your partner?"

"(Y/n)."

"Alrighty. Come on up."

My hands shake excessively as my chair screeches. I go up to the pile of posters and try to quickly find mine. When I find it I try pulling it out but the ones on top start to slide off. I'm stuck scrambling, trying to pull the poster with one hand, while keeping the others on top with the other. That is until Dash comes to save me. He pushes the boards back on top enabling me to pull ours out.

My hands still quiver as I hold our project for the class to see. I try to think of anything to share but my mind blanks. My mouth is parted and dry, while I try to think of something to say.

I hear speaking but it's not coming from me. I turn my head to the right to see Dash fluently speaking, giving facts and quips like its second nature.

I stare, amazed. I didn't realize he was done until he looked to me and gave me a smirk. Blushing I looked away. I went and gave the project to the teacher then sat softly in my seat.

I was in a kind of daze the rest of the class, but was startled out of it when the bell rang. The teacher told us to turn in our essays then we may leave. I grabbed mine and Dash's and rushed to turn it in.

I caught up to Dash at the door. "Thanks for rescuing me today. Twice."

"It's no problem. I was born to rescue damsels in distress." He grins at me.

"Yeah. Okay." I giggle. "You did amazing by the way."

"Pfft... you're right, I did."

"And modest too." I mumble. " I'm sorry that I didn't really help. I just get so nervous in front of people. I bet I looked like a mess out there..." I sigh.

"You honestly didn't. You just looked a little cold and shivery at most. I bet it's worse in your head."

"Thanks." I smile gratefully. 'You're my hero.' I think, but don't have enough courage to say out loud.