One Fact

I'm really looking forward to school today! Even though yesterday was my first tardy, it was also kinda the first time I've talked to someone! I'm just hoping I can talk to Dash again.

I'm just buzzing with energy, I don't know what I'll do with myself. I don't even know if I'll run into him again, or what to say if I do. I just want that feeling back. The feeling of not being completely alone.

I still have like an hour left and I'm already completely ready. I was just so excited that I woke up early and got ready extremely quickly. I didn't mean to, but I keep squealing at the thought of talking to Dash!!! EEEEEEKKKK!!!!

I went and sat on my couch still unsure of what I should do to pass the time. Shortly after my mom comes in the living room with a look of surprise. Probably that I'm already ready.

"Wow, your ready early honey. What's new today?" I just couldn't hold it in.

"Mom! I actually talked to someone yesterday!!" I couldn't stop squealing and grinning ear to ear. My mom looked ecstatic too.

"Oh my... I am so proud of you sweetie." She came over and gave me a big hug. "Does this mean you've made a friend at school?"

"Umm... I don't know if he's a friend... But at least I said something to him! And I have his number too!"

"Wait... You have a boys number? Should I be worried?" My face flushed.

"No, mom! We just have a school project we have to work on together. It's not like that!" My mom started to laugh.

"Oh, I'm just teasing. I'm really happy you finally have someone to talk to. Well we still have forty-five minutes before you have to head to school would you like to do anything?"

"Hmm... Do you think we can get some hot chocolate at that café down the street? I absolutely adore their hot coco..." I can just smell it now... Mmm...

"Sure. Anything for you pumpkin." So my mom got her keys and we hopped in the car and drove over to get hot chocolate.

It was very pleasant. My mom and I just sat in the café and talked while we drank our delicious hot chocolatey beverages. I savored every last bit. I was still sipping it slowly as my mom gave me a ride to school. This has been a great morning and I just hope it will get better from here.

I gave my mom a hug and thanked her for the ride before hopping out. I made my way to the front doors and was almost sad to throw away my empty cup.

As soon as I did I went to my locker. I don't always use it but I do keep a few books in there in case I am here early like today. I grab the book I've been into lately and walk over to the library so I can read the last few minutes before school starts.

I got caught up in the beautiful world of my book, as I usually do, that I very startled when I heard the bell ring. I have 5 minutes before the late bell rings, but it doesn't take that long to get to my next class from here. So I get up and start on my way in a very sluggish pace.

While on route to class I can't help but think this is where Dash had walked me to class. It brings a smile to my face. Even though he can still be conceded, I can tell he's actually a good guy. And it makes my heart flutter getting the chance to talk to him.

Before I know it I'm at my class and seated in my regular seat at the back. It's time to clear my head and pay attention.

Even through my attempt to just pay attention on the lesson I could only manage half. It was at least enough to know what was going on so I won't get called out for not paying attention. I mean how embarrassing would that be?

I couldn't help but contemplate weather or not Dash would sit with me or not during lunch, and what I would say to him if he does. I don't want to keep up this one way conversation we seem to have been having. I'll work on that. Just forget every reason there is to be shy. Pretend you're talking to your mom. Okay... that might be a little weird...

Lunch came sooner then I thought, and before I knew it I was in my little corner searching the crowd while fishing my lunch out of my backpack. I was on autopilot while eating my food, all of my attention on trying to find that one boy that always seemed to be on my mind. I eventually find him sitting with his friends again. Now what?

I find myself just staring at his every movement. He looks so happy and free. I can't stop the grin slowly creeping on my face at the sight, and just continue watching. That is... Until he turns around and catches me looking at him.

Embarrassed, I look down, with a face as red as the most vibrant of fire trucks at a raging hot fire. My face feels as though it's been stuck into one of those flames. My hand only confirms it when I place it on my cheek. Yup, very hot.

Suddenly a person plops down right next to me, and I probably don't even need to tell you that, that person is Dash. I just hope he doesn't mention my rose red face.

"Hey, how has your day been so far?" I clear my throat along with my mind and try to focus on speaking confidently for once.

"Pretty okay. How about you?" I know my voice still sounded very high pitched, at least I got out a sentence loud enough for him to hear.

"I've been good. Nice work on being louder by the way." I was internally squealing. I felt so proud of myself! I don't think the smile on myself could be any bigger!

"Thanks!" Okay that was squeaky too... But I can get over it!! There was an a amused look on his face. It was quiet for a few moments before he spoke up again.

"Can I ask you a question?" I simply nod. "Why do you sit all alone in this corner during lunch?" How do I answer that? I don't want to dampen the mood and say 'oh ya know, I just have no friends... So I eat alone...' How sad does that sound? And I don't want him to feel bad for me. Uh.....

"I don't like socializing." I blurt out. Well that does have a certain truth to it...

"Hmm... Okay... But doesn't it get lonely?" I just shrug my shoulders. I mean what am I suppose to say? Sure... It can be lonely. But I just get lost in my thoughts and I kinda like it that way...

"Well if you ever feel the need to socialize you can always talk to me." Did he really just say that? I have someone to talk to now? Yyyyyaaaaayyyyy!!!!!

"Thank you!" I can just feel the happiness radiating off my face. "So c-can we... Get to know each other a bit?" Even though that sounded very unsure I'm just pleased I actually asked a question.

"Sure. How about you tell me one random fact about you and I'll tell you one random fact about me?" I nodded my head trying to think of something.

"Umm... Uh... I... I guess I like the color (favorite color)..."

"Hm. Good choice. I doubt you know this already, but my real name is Dashiell, I just prefer Dash." For some reason that came as a shock to me. It just never occurred to me that Dash might be short for something... But his fact was definitely a lot cooler than mine.

"That's uh, a good name." Now I'm being awkward.

"Be honest, do you like Dash or Dashiell better?"

"I actually kinda like Dash better..." I hoped that didn't seem rude. I mean Dashiell is a good name too.

"Me too." Eek. He has a very nice smile, and it's apparently contagious.

We just made small talk and talked about our project for the rest of lunch. Afterwards we walked together to our next class. We had an actual lesson today and Dash sat with his other friends. I didn't see him the rest of the day but he never left my mind.