Apologizing

I brush everything off my desk and dump it into my back pack, zooming out my room while struggling to get the straps over my shoulders.

I quickly peek to see my mom busy at the computer talking to someone. There goes any possibility for a ride.

I rush for the door accidentally slamming it behind me. I wince but don't stop my sprint for school. I woke up late today. My loss of sleep has finally caught up to me and I didn't hear my alarm going off.

I see the school up ahead and I look at my watch to see I have a minute left. I push myself harder not wanting to be late again. I'm gasping as I think of the past nights laying in my bed desperately trying to fall asleep but my mind wasn't having it. It wouldn't switch off from the person who has guilt ridden me for the past two days.

Every time I see him he has a sad or guilty look on his face which makes feel even more guilty, and almost every night he sends me the same text, 'I'm sorry.'

I don't know how to respond. I want to forgive him, but every time I try to type a reply or think about talking to him I get anxious and chicken out. I know it's completely selfish of me but I just don't know what to do.

As I jump for the door I imagine myself rolling in, leaping to my feet as awesome and graceful as a ninja. Instead the door crashes open loudly and I ungraciously land on the floor, also hearing the ringing of the bell.

My sore face looks up to see the whole class looking at me, startled, even the teacher. Blushing I try to quickly scoot over to my seat, everyone staring at me as I do so. I lug myself onto my seat and pull out my notebook staring at it intently. With my cheeks still dusted pink the teacher, thankfully, starts class.

Nothing out of the ordinary happened after that, but as lunch was nearing the end I found the butterflies migrating back to my stomach, a slight feeling of dread not far behind.

Dash is in my next class and today I can't avoid the guilt inflicting look on his face. Today everyone gets to work together on their project before we turn it in two days from now. I mean, I've already finished it, but he doesn't know that which means I have to tell him.

When the bell rings my worries increase. I'm unsure weather I should hurry to class or go as slow as a snail, but the outcome is inevitable so I briskly head over.

I flump into my seat grabbing a folder. A blue folder. I like this folder and I don't know why. There's nothing extraordinary about it, but for some reason it bring a tender smile to my face.

I quickly look up as I hear the teacher dismissing us to work with our partners.

My eyes widen and then quickly shut. My unease grows hearing the class fill with the sound of scraping chairs, and it reaches its peak when the sound of someone plopping down next to me reaches my ears.

I peek up at him and I see the gloom he's trying to hide. My mouth goes dry and I find it difficult to speak, even if I did know what to say.

"How's the project going?" He breaks the awkward silence for me.

"Okay." I croak out. I reach for the folder in front of me and pull out the papers inside. "Here's the finished essay, and the poster is at my house." He takes the papers from me and looks at them.

"How does the poster look?" He asks.

"I have a picture on my phone if you want." He nods his head and I go about finding the picture. "Here." I hand him my phone. As he takes it I fidget with my fingers, nervous as to what he might think.

"This looks really nice and neat. You did a great job." He smiles, handing my phone back to me.

"Thanks." I smile back, with a rose colored tint to my cheeks. After that though, the awkward silence returns.

My thumbs twiddle excessively and I think about all of the things I could and should say to him. I look at the blue in front of my eyes and my foot starts to tap, yet another nervous habit I have.

I probably look like a jittery, restless mess. My eyes start darting everywhere, trying to think of the right thing to say. Dash suddenly puts a hand on my shoulder halting my hysterical movements. I look up at him and he smiles gently at me.

"I'm really, truly sorry for what I did. I didn't mean for that prank to be for you, and I'm sorry for embarrassing you. Could you ever forgive me?" He apologizes sweetly and sincerely.

My lip starts to quiver and tears gather at the corner of my eyes. I try to hold them back because I don't want him to see me cry. I'm so overflown with emotion, I don't know what to say.

I feel so guilty that he's sad because of my selfishness. I'm touched that he's so kind and considerate. But I'm still scared.

"I forgive you." I say in such a small voice. He beams at me signaling he heard, and I grin back at him. My smile slightly lessens as I say, "Will you forgive me?"

"For what?" He asks confused.

"For being so mean and selfish. For ignoring you when you were trying to reach out." I look at my fidgety hands once again.

"I deserved it though."

"No you didn't." I look up sharply.

"Fine, I'll forgive you." He grins and says. We talked the rest of class.

When the bell rang I got up, picking up my backpack and stuffing the folder inside. Of course I wasn't looking at where my feet were stepping so I tripped on the leg of a chair, all the belongings in my bags spilling out the unzipped opening. Dash was kind enough to help me with picking up my things.

I looked up at him when he stopped, and found him staring at a piece of paper. Curious, I scooted closer peering over his shoulder to see what he was looking at.

I blushed when I realized it was the picture I'd just finished last night. The one I drew of the red clad superhero.

"What's this?" Dash asked, surprise in his voice.

"Oh, not much. Just a drawing of a superhero. It's not very good, especially since I haven't been able to get a very close look at him, but... yeah..." I trail off.

"Well...what do you think of him?" He asks.

"Oh, I don't know... he's cool, I guess. I mean he can run really fast so that must be fun right? I wonder what it's like to run that fast... but anyway, I saw him save a puppy once, which was super cute and admirable. I don't really know that much about him, but he seems heroic, probably because he's a superhero, but I'm sure he's a really great guy..." I ramble on.

"He's really fast huh? Then he must like to be called The Dash." He smirks trying to seem all cool.

"Psh, that just you wanting to be him."

"You don't even know." He whispers

"What?" I ask confused.

"Nothing!" He shouts.

"Okay..?" We finish gathering my stuff and head out the door.