Prank

My morning had been uneventful, besides the fact that I hadn't seen my mom, so I walked to school today. I didn't think much of it, because she usually liked to get her work done in the mornings.

I think what's really strange is that I have actually been seeing her in the mornings lately. But mom is quite the unpredictable creature. So I've learned not to question her.

My first classes of the day were the same as always, so I was pretty happy when lunch came along.

I was walking out of the classroom pretty late because I was asking the teacher about extra credit. My stomach was rumbling telling me to hurry up.

I think I'm the only one in the halls right now. Most people liked to eat lunch in the cafeteria, some outside. We used to be able to eat in the halls too, until the janitors got mad at all the trash left up and down them.

I was ecstatic when I was finally in front of the doors that will lead to the pleasure of eating.

When I pushed those doors open everything went in slow motion.

I'm taking a step in, as I register the huge crowd in front of me.

I notice the single drop of red paint like the beginning of a rainstorm, then the rest crashes onto me in a heap.

I stood staring into the crowd with a stunned expression. I see the heard of students laughing at me, but can't quite hear them over my humiliation.

Then right in the front I spot one student not laughing. His expression looks the same as mine, but I can clearly see the guilt shining in his eyes.

I finally catch eye of his blonde hair and all the pieces seem to click.

Just like that I snap out of it and bolt out the door and down the hallway.

When I spot a restroom I rush in and slam the door shut. When I see there's a lock there I gladly lock it and make my way over the the mirror.

I stare at the image in front of me. Tomato colored paint covers every inch of my used to be (hair color) hair. Splatters of it on my face and shirt. Tears I didn't even know I shed streaked my flushed cheeks.

To sum it up I looked like a mess.

I set my  backpack on the ground and plopped down next to it.

I lazily unzipped a small pocket in my backpack and pulled out my phone. I called one of the only contacts I have and put the phone to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Hey mom?" I ask in a quiet voice.

"Oh, hey honey. Are you okay?"

"No, can you come get me?"

"Oh sure, do you want to tell me what's wrong?"

"I don't really want to talk about it." I muttered.

"Alright sweetie. I'll be there soon okay?"

"Okay. Thanks mom. Bye."

"Bye. I love you."

"Love you too." I hung up the phone.

I measly got up, got a few paper towels, and began to wipe away the wet paint as to not get any paint on my moms car.

When I think I got enough of the paint my phone buzzed. It was a text from my mom saying she's here.

I threw the paper towels away, gathered my bag, and trudged my way out of the bathroom and up the halls.

When I was finally outside I found my mom parked in front of the school, leaning on the passenger side of the car.

"Oh honey," she came up and gave me a hug. "Let's get you home."

I didn't reply as she pulled me to the car and opened my door for me.

When the door was closed, and I finished with my seatbelt, I leaned my head against the window. Thankfully my mom knew not to say anything.

On the way home I was left to my thoughts.

Why would Dash do this? I know it was him. The look on his face said it all. Not to mention he's our schools prankster.

The one person that I could actually talk to, that I trusted, and thought of as a friend, embarrassed me in front of the whole school.

Now instead of the person who no one knows and has no friends, I'll probably be teased for being the person who was covered in tomato red paint.

He'll probably be congratulated by his friends on another prank well done.

I should of known having a friend was too good to be true.

And on top of all this since I couldn't face the rest of the day, half of my classes I'll be absent.

That means make up work and that my perfect attendance is going down the drain.

When we got home the fist thing I did was hop in the shower. Getting the paint out of my hair was a chore but it did come out nevertheless.

There was no hope for my shirt so that went in the trash.

When I was back in my room I put on the biggest and fluffiest things I own, and curled up in my gigantic fuzzy blanket.

I was just going to sleep. Sleep is my new best friend. I won't be awake to think of the embarrassment I'll have to face tomorrow. Maybe I'll finish the homework I have when I wake up. No use being behind in the classes I did go to today.

"Hey honey." I hear someone whisper. I look up to see my mom through a small gap in the door.

"Hey mom." I whisper back. She quietly glides over and sits next to me.

"Are you okay?" She asks tentatively.

"I don't know..." I mumble.

"Do you plan on going to school tomorrow?"

"I have to. I can't get behind."

"Alright, but if you need me, just call and I'll be right there."

"Thanks mom." I smile gratefully and tried to hug her but my fuzzy cocoon stops me. She quietly laughs and puts her arms around the fluffy spiral entangling me.

"I'll see you at dinner. I'm making your favorite. I'll come get you when it's ready." I just grin ear to ear as she leaves.

I lie down a bit, planning on taking a small nap before dinner when I heard my phone buzz. I sprung my hand out of the warmth and grab it. It' a text. From Dash.

To soon my curiosity got the best of me and I opened the message he sent. It was only two very simple words.

'I'm sorry'