Chapter 7- The unexpected visitor

Toms POV

Friday
I've just been given the opportunity with work to travel to Europe for a week to deliver a speech at an international conference about the plant I discovered in a months' time. I'm going to miss Faith even though I know I'll see her soon. Works been so tiring today and I just need to sleep. Lying down on my bed I turn on my side and see the small framed photo of myself and Faith. That was such a great day, I can't help but wonder about what she's up to. She's not a fan of texting so doesn't usually reply fast or sometimes at all. That aside, things between us are going great! I was at her apartment the other week and she gave me her final draft of her new novel to read. I've finished reading it and it's absolutely fantastic! She has a real talent and I like how the guy got the girl in the end and they grew to have a family etc. I'm so proud of her, I'm sure it's going to be big when she releases it. Just as I'm about to close my eyes I hear a loud knock on the door. Putting on my black dressing gown I walk over to the door. I look through the spy hole but I can't see anyone so I go to head back to bed. Then another knock occurs, louder this time. I look through the spy hole again but I still couldn't see anybody. I wonder if it's just Faith playing games on me. I open the door and there is a young girl with a large suitcase stood in front of me. Silence occurs as we just stare at each other.

"Excuse me sir, are you Mr Thomas Mathers?" Asks the little girl shyly.

"Yes." My voice almost breaking.

"And is this man you?" She holds up a small photo.

It was of me dressed in my marine uniform. My heart beats fast because I remember exactly who took that photo. I nod my head then the little girl drags her suitcase into my apartment and hands me a letter "You have to read this."

I take the letter out of her hand whilst she goes to sit on the sofa. It read:

"Dear Tom,
My name is Jonathan Sanders. I was the husband of Emily Sanders. We were married since we turned 18 but Emily acted unfaithful when she met you on holiday in Philly which in turn led to a pregnancy. She told me what had happened but we got through it together and I raised Alaina (your daughter) as my own but she's always knew that I wasn't her biological father. However, Emily didn't quite get through it. She developed a serious drug addiction which was one reason I grew so close with Alaina. Emily committed suicide before Alaina turned 3. When Alaina started asking where her mother was, I told her that she went on a long vacation as I cannot bring myself around to telling her the truth. That beautiful and smart, young girl you see before you is your daughter. She is only 6 years old and has already gone through so much. Please take care of her, I'm only asking you because there really isn't anyone else I can turn to. I have a terminal illness and I'm on very short time. By the time Alaina reaches you with this message I will be resting in peace with Emily. It pains me repeating this but on Emily's suicide note she said that Alaina reminded her of you every day. The sweet, kind, charming man she met all them years ago. She only knew you for a few days but had the same amount of love for you as she did for me. I hope you will take care of her, she has a truly amazing soul.
Your truly,
Jonathan Sanders"

Tear drops stained the bottom of the page. My heart felt as if someone was squeezing hard on it. I look over at the little girl who is dressed in a long sleeved, knee high, yellow dress. She had long blond hair and bright blue eyes. I walk up to her and crouch down to her height.

"Sir? Are you my dad?" She asks.

"Ermm... Yeah, I think so." I reply not knowing quite how to react. I try to calmly smile because I reckon she's also about as nervous as I am. She looks closely at my face. She then wraps her little arms around my neck and hugs me tightly. What on earth am I supposed to tell Faith? How the hell will she react? These thoughts ran across my mind.

"So am I staying here tonight because I've had an awfully long trip."

"Well there are not many other options so yes... I've got a spare room; let me grab your suitcase."

I grab the suitcase and she follows me to the spare room. Her eyes scan the room curiously. She pulls out a pair of yellow minion pyjamas and walks over to the bed.

"I'm going to go to my room now which is just across the living room. And if you need the toilet it's just down the corridor. She nods her head and I go back to my room. Laying on my bed so many thoughts rush across my mind. I know I need to tell Faith but I'll do that tomorrow. For now I just need to rest so I can process all that has just happened and be able to function well tomorrow.

Faiths POV

3:00am
I've decided to call it a night at the bar. There was a very handsome man there but I stayed true to Tom and left. I'm kind of proud of this because I'm pretty drunk and this is a common stage where I make very bad decisions. I'm at my car now and I know I really shouldn't be driving it all the way home so I decide to go to Toms since he only lives a couple blocks away and it feels like I haven't see him in ages. I purposely drive really slowly so I can focus on staying in the lane. I arrive outside Tom's apartment and smoke a quick spliff before going in. As I'm walking to the door an idea hits me. Toms probably asleep right now so I'll climb through the back window so he doesn't wake up and then I'll quietly join him in bed so when he wakes up he'll have a nice surprise. Aww I'm such a thoughtful girlfriend.
Getting through the back window was harder than I expected but I didn't wake. Just as I'm about to creep into bed with him I decide to go to the bathroom first. As I'm walking to the toilet a little girl in yellow minion pyjamas stops me.

"Are you a burglar?" She asks.

I squint hard "ermm, no." I walk into the bathroom. As I'm sat on the toilet I try to remember where and who I got the drugs off. God I'm so high haha.

Walking out the toilet I see the little girl again. Wow, she looks so real!

"If I go back to bed are you going to burgle the house." She asks again.

"Don't worry kidda, I'm not going to burgle the house." We both go our separate ways and I get into bed with Tom who was still fast asleep.

rB