14 - Honeymoon Phase

"Stella, go home," Brendan said for at least the thirtieth time. I furiously shook my head and remained seated in the chair next to his hospital bed.

"I'm not going anywhere," I replied, taking his good hand into mine. He rolled his eyes, but he smiled over at me anyway. "Why're you so adamant about me going home? Getting tired of me yet?"

He shook his head, imitating my earlier action. "Never." He squeezed my hand. "Can I have my phone?" I nodded and pulled it out of my back pocket, getting ready to hand it over when he said, "Actually, you can just check it."

I unlocked his phone and went straight to his messages.

Chucky💩
How are u doing?

Gally👿
He's doing fine. I'll tell him you messaged!

Chucky💩
Thx Stella 👻

I laughed and moved in to the messages from several of his other teammates, telling them that Brendan was alright. There was a contact name I didn't recognize, so I entered into the conversation.

Joelle Parsons
Oh my god Bren are you okay????

Brendan Gallagher
He's fine.

Joelle Parsons
Who is this?

Brendan Gallagher
This is his girlfriend, and you are?

She read the message and didn't respond. I knew who she was, I didn't need to ask. She was the girl that Brendan had some weird, week-long thing with back when we were separated. And apparently she didn't know when to let go.

"Stels?" Brendan questioned. I looked up from the phone and at him. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," I responded. "Joelle texted."

Brendan leaned his head back and rolled his eyes to the ceiling. I wasn't necessarily upset with him, but I was kind of curious as to why she thought it was okay to text him even after he ended things between them.

"I swear there's nothing going on between-"

"Babe, I'm not mad," I interrupted, placing one of my hands over his uninjured one. "I just want to cuss her out. You're my man." Brendan and I both laughed, and his phone buzzed with another text.

Joelle Parsons
Wait lol when did he get a girlfriend? I invited him to hang out just the other day.

I read the text to Brendan, and he rolled his eyes once again.

"Scroll up."

"What?"

"In the text thing, scroll up," he repeated. I gave him a funny look but did what he said anyways. I scrolled up to their texts from a few days again.

Joelle Parsons
Hey, want to hang out today?

Brendan Gallagher
Nah, I'm good

Joelle Parsons
Well, that was kind of rude. Could've just said you were busy.

Brendan Gallagher
I'm not going to lie to you, I'm not busy at all. My girlfriend is sleeping, using me as her pillow, so I'm good staying here.