Chapter 10

Chapter 10

‘Give... me... one... minute...’ I said in between breaths.

Ace had made it to the dynasty at the same time I did. He had driven and managed to catch up with me. My body felt tired and worn out. Even though I had stopped running, my heart was still going. My lungs were burning as I gasped in mouthfuls of oxygen. My legs were now shaking and I thought that any minute I was going to collapse. It was quite a walk away from the school. I didn’t know how to get to the dynasty without going past Ace’s house first – and I didn’t want his family to be in danger – so I had to go the long way, when, clearly, Ace knew a much faster route.

‘Are you okay?’ Ace kept asking. ‘What happened? Are you hurt? Who were they?’

Give me a second!’ I snapped at him, resting on my elbows, on top of my knees.

‘Ace, what’s going on?’ Sonia called, racing towards us with Ace’s family and mine on her heels.

Ashling squished me in a hug, ‘I knew you could do it!’

‘Do what, Ashling?’ Sonny questioned as Ashling released me back into the position I was originally in.

‘I saw Ryvre being chased and getting trapped. Then I saw how she was planning to escape and I knew she’d be fine!’ Ashling smiled proudly at me.

‘You should have told us, Ashling!’ Arella scolded him. ‘Ryvre, are you alright?’

‘Fine... I need water...’ I said - my throat was so dry.

‘Okay, let’s get Ryvre inside and get her some water.’ Randy suggested. ‘Then we can talk this out.’

Ace was supporting me by my waist. All I wanted to do was close my eyes. We walked inside and Rosita handed me a glass of water. I swallowed – gratefully – mouthfuls of the cool liquid. I found it ironic that I could control water and, yet, I needed to drink it so badly. Then again, maybe I needed more of it since I could control it.

We sat in one of the lounge areas. Ace wouldn’t let go of my waist and everyone sat in a semi-circle around us as I explained what had happened. As soon as I was finished and before anyone could ask any questions, Ace’s phone rang.

‘Why are you calling me?’ Ace asked me, showing me the caller ID was mine.

‘I left my bag there and my phone was in my bag.’ I told him as I took his phone from his hands. ‘Maybe someone found it and can tell me where they are handing in to.’ I pressed the talk button. ‘Hello?’

‘Oh... hello, Ryvre,’ A deep masculine voice answered, ‘I wanted to talk to your boyfriend but it’s much better if you tell him yourself.’

‘And what exactly is that?’ I asked, sceptical.

‘I have your stuff... like your school bag...’ The man’s voice rumbled in the phone.

‘Yeah... So what’s your point?’ I raised an eyebrow even though he couldn’t see it. ‘Keep it if you want.’

‘And I have your mobile phone.’ The man added, sounding smug.

‘Well, we established that, didn’t we?’ I said in a mock-polite tone. ‘Clever you: you have my school bag and phone.’

‘It’s a shame. I thought you were the clever one – especially since you pulled that stunt on the limo – but oh, well.’ The man chuckled. ‘You see, Ryvre, on your phone is mummy and daddy’s contact numbers...’ He trailed off to give me a chance to see where he was going with it.