Chapter 17

Chapter 17

‘Why am I in the hospital?’ I asked in a hoarse voice. Ace, Ashling and Rosita were in the room with me.

‘You passed out from hypothermia.’ Rosita explained, looking relieved. ‘Lucky the ambulance came just as you passed out.’

‘How’s Aura?’ I asked, reaching for a glass of water on the bedside table.

‘She’s got a broken ankle, but I think she’ll live.’ Rosita said, slightly amused.

‘How did you know that was going to happen?’ I asked everyone.

‘I foresaw it.’ Ashling answered. ‘I saw you coming out the back and you and Sean in the water, about to drown. We made Aura try and prevent that but it didn’t quite go to plan.’

‘Ryvre... I’m so sorry,’ Ace suddenly spoke, ‘for everything.’ He walked to the farthest wall and leaned against it, looking at the floor.

‘I think,’ Ashling leaned down to whisper to me, ‘it’s time you forgave him. He did run through the burning warehouse to keep you warm until the paramedics could get through to you. Risking his life to save yours, I think that deserves a second chance.’ Ashling too Rosita by the arm, ‘we’ll let the others know you’re awake.’ Ace and I were left alone for the first time in what seemed like forever.

‘Ace,’ I said gently, my voice seeming absurdly loud in the quiet, little room, ‘come here.’ He strolled over to the side of the bed and sat on the edge of it. ‘Thank you.’ I smiled at him.

‘“Thank you” for what?’ Ace asked, a little taken aback.

‘For saving me even though I didn’t want you too.’ My smile grew a little bit wider. ‘And thank you for caring about me.’

‘Anytime,’ Ace was trying to resist his own smile, ‘I just wish I could have a second chance. I wouldn’t screw it up.’

‘Ace... I forgive you.’ I told him and pulled him down to me by the collar of his top. Then I whispered, ‘I love you, Ace Hunter,’ and placed my lips on to his. That longing ache disappeared.

‘Ahem, shouldn’t she be resting?’ Taran interrupted us. ‘How are you doing, Ryvre?’

‘I’m okay...’ I smiled, ‘thanks Taran – for helping me out back there, you know what I mean.’

‘Yeah, it’s a shame you didn’t get the chance to use all your power, we need to train you to be stronger.’ Taran grinned.

‘Ryvre,’ Arella joined my side, ‘this is going to be a big decision, but... would you like to come and live with us?’

‘Scotia and Seth were arrested on the account of kidnap and murder.’ Sonny told me. ‘Not to do with your case but with previous cases.’

‘Sure, I’d love to live with you guys.’ I smiled, squeezing Ace’s hand. ‘Mum, what happened to everyone else?’

‘Oh, well- Wait, did you just call me “mum”?’ A smile grew as Arella beamed.

‘That’s what you are, aren’t you, my mum?’ I laughed.

‘Yeah, of course... I, err, lost my place...’ Mum was stunned but in a good way.

‘Dad, can you tell me what happened to everyone else?’ I asked Sonny, who also smiled when I called him “dad”.

‘Sure; that girl and boy are in the conversion program – where black-souls are guided into becoming white-souls. The two thugs, that were there, managed to get away. As we said, Scotia and Seth got arrested; Scotia confessed about her brother, Nigel, and they caught him.’ Dad explained.