Chapter 14

Chapter 14

‘Not really,’ I looked over at Ace, who caught my gaze and started to excuse himself, ‘why so public?’

‘People wouldn’t expect us to do this in public.’ The man laughed. He was dressed in a smart suit with a tie.

‘Do what?’ I asked, preparing myself to run.

‘She’s going to run,’ the man said to his sidekicks, to me he said, ‘we’re going to take you back to our boss.’

‘You’re going to take me to your boss, really? It sounds like a bad movie.’ I said, sceptical. ‘You don’t need me anymore. I’m nothing to the white-soul dynasty or the Hunters or the Storm family.’

The man sighed, pinched the bridge of his nose and said, ‘just get her anyway.’

That’s when I darted backwards to run around them and towards the group huddled around the bonfire to get help – although I don’t know who’s help I’d ask for since I didn’t want Ace’s or Sean’s and no one else, that I could tell, knew about angels. It was hard to sprint across sand; it didn’t want me to escape. I couldn’t run into the sea because they would follow me and they could be better swimmers than me – and I couldn’t control the sea without harming myself. When Ace saw me running, he started to run in my direction. I changed my path so I didn’t have to go near anyone, and I headed towards the car park.

Close to the steps that led down to the car park, I suddenly skidded and fell on my side and rolled down the steps. When I lifted my head to see what I had skidded on I saw that it was... ice? How is that possible? Fighting the feeling of all my energy being knocked out of me, I tried to get up as fast as I could and run but not before two big hands wrapped around each arm. The two sidekicks dragged me to my feet and pretended to look like they know me since only a small group of people were concerned about my fall. Ace wasn’t stupid and falling for the act.

‘Are you okay?’ The man in charge asked with little interest or concern for my well-being.

‘Oh, like you care.’ I spat at him. I could feel the grazes on my legs were starting to sting.

‘Actually, if I show up in front of my boss and you’re badly hurt then I could be the one that ends up badly hurt.’ This made me consider faking it. ‘Don’t even bother. My boss can tell when you’re faking it.’

‘Ryvre, are you alright?’ Ace called, running over. ‘Just wait there me.’

‘Quick: grab her. Take her to the car and drive, I’ll follow.’ The man started firing orders at his sidekicks.

The man on my right threw me over his shoulder despite my kicking and screaming. The man in charge punched the air and Ace was thrown backwards, further away from me. I screamed his name but the man carrying bounced me on his shoulder which hurt and cut off my scream. It took both sidekicks to force me into the limo. They locked the door immediately. I couldn’t see out the black windows as I pulled frantically on the door handle.

‘I’d stop that if I was you, little girl.’ The sidekick that wasn’t driving – and the one that had carried me – advised.

‘Hey, I’m not little.’ I snapped at him. ‘I,’ keep them distracted I told myself, ‘may be small for my age but I’m certainly not little. You’re small for your age,’ I said preparing to block against any attacks, ‘but I don’t call you little. How old are you anyway? Thirty-five... Forty... Pushing forty-five-’

‘Shut up!’ He tried to force my mouth close using his powers but I was prepared. ‘I am thirty.’

‘Wow,’ I said genuinely amazed, ‘must be a stressful job if you’re thirty and look like that.’