The Good, The Bad, The Smugly

Chapter Three

The Good, The Bad, The Smugly

After her math class, Savannah walked to the creative arts building, which is situated on the other side of the school.

After a somewhat calm and exciting lesson, the assembly bell had rung.

As Savannah walks past the year 8 building on her way to her locker, she sees the back of a curly haired boy's head that she could only recognise as Ben.

He was rhythmically drumming his sticks on the wooden lockers as several 8th graders stand and watched in awe.

Savannah scoffs and laughs to herself while shaking her head. Ben is talented, but he is a trouble maker, Savannah thought it was best to let as teacher tell Ben off and goes on about her business.

Assembly goes on for what feels like a lifetime, the new Principle, Mr Jones, Mitchell's father, is a short plump man with a round childlike face, he looks nothing like his son, except maybe his eyes.

He had a firm sincere voice yet not a single word he was saying was being heard to by Savannah.

He mentioned something about the standards of school uniforms, changes in the menu in canteen and possibly something about staffing, Savannah could hardly remember.

Time seemed to be going painstakingly slow, Savannah wishing she'd eaten more than a few grapes for recess was finding it hard to stay awake, as the hot summer air drifted in and out of the school hall.

"Now, boys and girls the moment you've been waiting for," Mr Jones announced, snapping Savannah back into reality, "It is time to announce the school captains for Holy Cross High for the year.

Butterflies fluttered in Savannah's stomach as she saw Leon walking across the stage followed by Jake Mathers, who Savannah remembered as a carefree boy who spent 99 percent of his time at the beach; he had long fawn blond hair that fell to his shoulders and beaming smile.

Following Jake was Emily Sanders, she had a heart-shaped face with a dimple on each cheek, her sandy blonde hair was in a sleek high ponytail like it always is.

Emily is as beautiful on the outside as she is on the inside, Savannah always admires her kindness and intellect.

If there was anyone else Savannah would want to be captain other than Leon it would hands down be Emily.

Savannah tries with every fibre of her being, to relinquish from rolling her eyes and groan out loud when Natalie Georgevski trails after Emily with her nose in the air, bouncing with every step she took.

Her sleek, black hair went past her oval-shaped face and down to her waist, her high cheekbones were so defined, Savannah could see them from where she was seated. If Natalie wasn't such a vile person she would actually be quite beautiful, thinks Savannah.

"I'm proud to say that the school captain for this year is," spoke Mr Jones as the four candidates stiffened, they nervously stood side by side, awaiting the announcement of their victory or possible failure.

Savanah wished Mr Jones would hurry up and say Leon's name already.

It felt like hours had passed as the hall of 8 hundred and something students sat silently at the end of their seats with bated breath awaiting the announcement that is somewhat insignificant yet detrimental if the wrong leaders are chosen.

"Congratulations to Mr Leon Thompson!" said Mr. Jones, Savannah squealed with excitement as she watched her best friend shaking the principle's hand vigorously. The other three candidates smiled, clapped and congratulated Leon.