Unwanted Feelings

Chapter Nine

Unwanted Feelings

It was Friday afternoon and Savannah was getting ready to go to Mitchell's birthday dinner at a local diner. She struggled to piece together an outfit that conformed to the dress code of 'neat casual.'

After hours of frustrating wardrobe changes, with the help of her mother, Savannah was in a cotton, long-sleeved, turtle-necked black top, blue denim high-waisted jeans and ankle boots.

She slicked her hair into a bun, put her beloved birthday necklace around her neck and put earrings on. She gathered her things and waited for Leon to pick her up.

At a quarter-to six, Savannah saw through her bedroom window, Leon pulling up in his small white car. The diner was in the heart of the city, without a doubt it was going to be crowded, it was a Friday night after all.

This made Savannah feel uneasy, crowded places usually brought out the worst in her, although she knew Leon will be by her side, she couldn't help but feel anxious.

Leon pulled up to the parking lot of the diner, the struggle to find an available parking space was immanent.

"You go inside, I'll try and find someplace, I doubt I'm gonna find parking anywhere near here," said Leon exhaustedly. If Savannah wanted to be perfectly honest she would rather Leon drive her back home than enter the crowded restaurant to find Mitchell alone.

She somehow felt that if she spoke her mind and how she felt about it, she would be letting him down, after all Leon had done and sacrificed for her, she thought being brave for a moment or two was worth it for a friend like him.

With that in mind she smiled and nodded as she exited the car and shut the door behind her. It was a beautiful evening, patches of clouds covered the sky as the setting sun peaked through, the cool Autumn breeze blowing the dead leaves on the streets.

Savannah took a deep breath and opened the door of the restaurant. The atmosphere was lively yet calm, varied tables filled with friends and families enjoying each other's companies.

The wooden tables and the soul music playing in the background made Savannah feel at ease, in a strange way it reminded her of her home.

"Hi Miss, how can I help you?" asked a tall, dark and mysteriously handsome waiter, Savannah snapped back into reality and spoke with as much confidence she could master.

"Hi... um sir, I'm here for a dinner party..."

"whose?" he asked, Savannah searched his chest, a name tag indicated that he was 'Evan.'

"Me... I'm..." Savannah had forgotten what the question was, what was wrong with her? She didn't fully understand if she was getting flustered because she was nervous or because she found this devilishly handsome waiter attractive.

"I'm sorry, I meant whose dinner party? The host?" he said smiling down at Savannah

"Oh!" exclaimed Savannah, chuckling at her stupidity, "Mitchell Jones, I'm here for Mitchell Jones."

"Sure thing.... I'm guessing you'd be..." he traced his finger on a guest list then stopped, "are you Savannah?" he asked smirking, "Yes, I am," Savannah smiled nervously, afraid to ask how he could've guessed.

"Ah, you just look like a 'Savannah,' follow me," he walked as Savannah followed, she felt like she had to speed walk to keep up with him, each long stride of his equalling about three of Savannah's.

"Hey! You made it!" exclaimed Mitchell as he got up and greeted Savannah with a warm hug. He made his way back to his seat in the middle surrounded by two friends on each side.