Salty Siblings

Chapter Six

Salty Siblings

Within a week, the news that Savannah and Leon were a romantic couple spread like wildfire.

Savannah had always been thought of by her peers as 'Leon's sidekick' for as long as she can remember, now that she apparently has a higher status as Leon's girlfriend, she was more 'important'.

Other than getting stared at and recognised at school, (people actually knowing her name,) not a lot has changed. She was still friends with Mitch, Natalie and Heather still silently cursed her and she was still as close as always to Leon.

She was surprised the little she had to do to convince the entire school that she was Leon's significant other, the occasional holding of the hand or linking of the arms was all it took.

Several girls that Savannah felt guilty of not remembering the names of, would approach her nearly every school day and ask her how her day has been, their intentions weren't clear to Savannah, but she knew they weren't good.

It was Monday after school and after much persuasion, Leon agreed to come to work with Savannah at the public library.

"I'd take a bullet for you mate, but the library is another story," complained Leon,

"oh hush! If I can be your fake girlfriend, you can come to the library with me."

The two were quietly shelving returned books.

"Hey I never really asked you, what extra-curricular activity are you doing?" asked Leon as he flicked the the pages of book before putting it on a shelf,

"I'm not doing anything..." said Savannah guiltily,

"If Miss Mewdan finds out, it's your funeral,"

"Lee, you know I'm not one to participate in things that are not of my own choosing," she said sympathetically as Leon rolled his eyes.

"What are you in?" asked Savannah, hoping that by diverting the question back to him, she'll avoid a lecture,

"I'm in the winter formal committee," he said excitedly, "I'm the leader of the group and I'll be happy to accept new members, especially if their name is Savannah Brown,"

"Does this committee of yours include Natalie, Heather, Caleb and/or Ethan" she asked and Leon responded with a cringed frown on his face, as if to say a reluctant 'yes.'

"Pass," Savannah said dismissively, "plus extra-curricular would mean less time to study... less time to do anything for that matter."

"Ooo-kayy..." responded Leon in a sing-song voice, Savannah somehow felt that this discussion was not over, Leon, like his lawyer father, was very persuasive, it was rare that he would let go of something he disagrees with, without persuasively lecturing Savannah about it.

"So, what are you wearing to the winter formal?" asked Leon,

"I... don't know, haven't actually thought about it,"

"Savannah Brown you are unbelievable." He said in a mock serious tone.

"Lee, the formal is in October," reminded Savannah

"So?" asked Leon,

"it's only April," said Savannah with her hand on her hip.

"Alright, alright.... What about next year? What are your plans?" he asked, eying the books he neatly shelved.

"I'm still figuring that part out, what about you?" asked Savannah.

"Me? I'm gonna be flying in the sky, taking a gap year to travel and explore the world.

There's so much out there for me to see you know? so much for me to experience." Savannah could see his lips curling, he laughed to himself,

"Sav, you have what I like to call, 'small-town syndrome,' spending your entire life in the same old place, which don't get me wrong, Melton is a freakin' beautiful place, but there are so many different places that can't go unseen.

It would be a waste if they don't get the pleasure of being visited by you."

'There it is', thought Savannah hoping this was the end of one of many of Leon's lectures. As annoying as his lectures were, he always had a good point with good intentions.

"Oh hi Leon, nice of you to join us for dinner," exclaimed Savannah's mother as the two walked into the dining room. Lucky for Savannah, Mike was away almost every dinner for the past few days, training for the upcoming basketball season.

He would often come late at night, when Savannah was preparing to go sleep which only made ignoring him easier.

"Savannah bandana, and her boyfriend Leonardo avocado!" exclaimed Ben as he laughed with his drumsticks in one hand and a fork in the other. Leon chuckled and Savannah rolled her eyes,

"Shove off Ben, you know it isn't like that," retorted Savannah,

"I appreciate the joke Benj, but my full name is Leonard, not Leonardo, but A plus for effort," laughed Leon as Savannah's father snickered.

After an enjoyable dinner, Leon bade the Brown family goodnight, Savannah studied for a couple hours and went to bed.

Savannah was woken at two in the morning, wether it was by her full bladder or the sound of Mike's car, Savannah didn't know.

Too tired to get up immediately Savannah tried to hold it to the morning.

After about 5 minutes of discomfort, Savannah got out of bed and rushed to the toilet, not bothering to turn the hallway lights on.

After she came back out she roughly collided with a tall, dark figure that she couldn't make out in the dimness. Her only guess was that it was Mike as he was the only one awake besides her.

"Watch where the hell you're going, you daft idiot!" he roared, Savannah could see that he kept his left, scarred hand elevated as he winced in pain.

Mike had the crackle-shaped scar on his hand for as long as Savannah could remember, when they were young, Mike would always experience discomfort on his hand, she never really knew where it came from or why it still caused him so much pain, but it always made her heart sink to see her bother in this much hurt.

She assumed that he most likely injured it during training and tried with her every might to ask if he was okay.

Without another word, Mike shoved Savannah out of the way, entered the bathroom and shut the door.

Feeling all kinds of mixed emotions, Savannah went back to her room feeling more miserable than ever about her and Mike's relationship.

They went from being best buddies to strangers in a matter of months and she didn't know how to fix it.

The last thing on her mind when she went to sleep was how much she really missed her brother, acting like she didn't care for him was doing more damage to her than it was to him.