Ben's Confession

Chapter Twenty-Two

Ben's Confession

The bus dropped off Savannah at the front of her house at 8:15PM.

To say that she was exhausted would be an understatement.

She wished the bus ride back home was as lively as the bus ride to Johnstone Park, but instead her and Leon napped as they listened to soft music together.

She dragged her duffle bag up the footpath and to the front door.

She rang the door bell relentlessly, too tired to reach into her bag and search for her house keys.

Her knees felt weak as she thought about the only place she wanted to be right now. Her bed.

Ben answered the door, greeting Savannah with a beaming smile.

He hugged her and immediately took the duffle bag off her grip, effortlessly swinging it around his shoulder as he ushered her in.

Savannah was appreciative of Ben's kindly helpfulness, she wondered when he had grown into the very thoughtful young man before her.

As she stared adoringly at him she noticed not a single bruise or graze on his face.

She hadn't seen him this genuinely happy in a long time.

He took Savannah's belongings upstairs into her room as she greeted her parents in the living room.

After a quick meal, Savannah walked sluggishly upstairs into her bedroom.

She'd never known how much she missed her fortress of solitude until this moment.

Her bed covered with her favourite floral print blanket, topped with a soft off-white plush throw.

Her bed was covered in an assortment of mismatched cushions; her study desk was as untidy as ever.

Her school uniform was neatly folded on the chair beside it.

She was grateful to whoever had done her laundry while she was gone.

By her bed, the ash tree plant stood. It had flourished wildly since she received it for her birthday, nearly six months ago.

She collapsed on her bed, feeling heavy yet weightless at the same time.

The feeling of complete relaxation after three long days was euphoric.

There was a knock on the door and Ben entered.

Savannah looked at him puzzled.

Ben was never one to knock before entering Savannah's room, he would typically burst in or barge in without brothering to knock.

It never bothered Savannah, she had always prepared herself when she heard Ben's particular footsteps approach her door.

"I've gotta show you something," he said so excitedly you'd think he was about to jump out his own skin.

"What is it?"

"Come."

Without another word Ben walked out of Savannah's room.

She was exhausted but trying to figure out what on earth might Ben want to show her at this time.

After a few seconds Savannah obliged and followed Ben's steps.

By the time she was on her way down the steps she saw Ben walk out the front door.

What was going on?

She followed him out the front door, breathing in the chilly night air.

"Stay here," he said as he went around the house, no doubt, to fetch something.

'But what?' thought Savannah.

She felt goose bumps grow on her arms, she would run in to grab her sweater, but didn't want to leave Ben.

She waited a few more seconds til Ben reappeared holding something on his side.

Savannah couldn't make out what it was in the darkness, even as he approached.

He walked passed Savannah and onto the middle of the street.

Whatever object he was holding at his side, it had wheels.

Luckily they lived in a quiet neighbourhood, it was rare that a car would cross their street any time after 6PM.

As Ben set down the object on the street ground, Savannah could clearly make-out that it was, in fact, a skateboard.

Ben hopped on top and began wheeling it, pushing it with one leg as the other remained firmly on top.

He skated up their driveway, down the neighbour's ramp and swivelled up and down the street.

Savannah was in complete and utter shock and amazement.

Ben was good, really good.

If Savannah hadn't known him better she would've painted him as a skater with years of experience under his belt.

She was in absolute awe and filled with pride watching her brother perform such impressing moves.

He skated to the curb and effortlessly jumped off smiling from ear-to-ear.

Even in the darkness Savannah could see his grin which seemed to illuminate the atmosphere and feel the excitement that was being projected from him.

She was speechless, she smiled like an idiot at him, opening and closing her mouth, trying to remember how to speak.

"So?" Ben asked,

"Ben you friggin' champ!" exclaimed Savannah, throwing her arms around her younger, yet taller brother.

He smiled at her whole-heartedly, ruffling his curls.

"Sorry I didn't tell you sooner, I just wanted to, at least, master a few moves before telling anybody..."

Savannah was once again speechless.

"I know, I scared the crap outta you with all my bruises and stuff...

"but that's just because I was just practicing and I was angry at myself for not getting it right for the longest time so... thanks for trusting in me Savannah.... Mana piana," he chuckled.

Tears of joy built in Savannah's eyes.

She had never been so proud of her brother.

Not only was she grateful that he is mentally, physically and emotionally well, but that his injuries were sourced from an innocent passion instead of dark encounters.

"Don't make this all sappy, please," he said throwing his arm around his older sister's shoulder as they made their way inside.

"I'm your older sister Benj, it's my job to be sappy," retorted Savannah.

That night Savannah lied in bed, too tired to think of anything really.

But she felt content, a feeling she wasn't quite used to recently.

In the space of a few days, all of Savannah's problems she had over the past year, were vanishing, one by one.

She was beyond relieved. The only hurdle she could see were her exams, but those are next week's struggles.