Ch. 4 - Q&A

bzzzzzzzzzt....

You're on your break at work at the moment, which is when you like to go into the back and sift through the new books that haven't hit shelves yet. As you settle down with a particularly interesting-looking one, your mobile goes off. You pull the buzzy thing out of the pocket on your hoodie and take a look.

From: Tom

Hello, love, how are you today?

You smile. A message from him still doesn't fail to make your stomach flip, even though it's been weeks. You drop the book (yeah, it looks good, but this kind of takes priority over books..) and reply.

To: Tom

I'm quite all right, thanks! Just going on break, actually, you have the best timing.

From: Tom

Oh, you're working? Where do you work?

You still don't know why the hell he bothers, so you're reluctant to answer his question. Then you think, what if he shows up here? Christ on rice, you'd probably die right then and there, and if not Talia would kill you! You shrug and start to type.

 To: Tom

Blackwell's on Charing Cross. It's a little bookshop. I work here part-time while I'm going to university.

From: Tom

I don't think I've ever been there. I guess I have a reason to now, don't I? What do you study?

What if he shows up here? You take a minute to imagine Tom walking in and asking for you. You'd die, Talia would die, the person he asked for you would probably die... so much fangirl death... You break is almost over, so you reply and head back up to the front.

 To: Tom

Nothing specific. I'm not ready to choose what I do all my life quite yet.

From: Tom

Taking your time isn't a bad thing. I hope you don't mind all the questions. We've talked for months, and I know nothing about you. I figured I'd learn something today.

 To: Tom

Not at all! Ask away.

You take a moment to find a copy of Trainspotting for a customer. While you search, you wonder why Tom wants to get to know you at all. Why is he still speaking to you? It's not like he has nothing better to do. Why is a talented, successful, devastatingly handsome actor getting chummy with a plain girl who works at a bookshp and lives alone? It doesn't add up. Of all the people who contacted him and all the gorgeous people that he works with, what is Tom wasting his time on you for?

 From: Tom

Excellent. What about in your free time?

 To: Tom

I don't go out a lot. It's not that I never do, I'd just rather be at home with a book or something than go to a club.

You instantly regret telling him you don't get out much. Good job, genius, you made yourself sound geeky and introverted.

 From: Tom