Ch. 5 - Just a Friend, Mum....

You are in the area running errands, so you decide to pop in on your parents. You let yourself in, and find your mum in the kitchen, washing dishes - no sign of Dad, but he's probably working. She dries her hands off and comes around the island to hug you.

"How have you been, poppet?" she asks. "You look thin.."

Rolling your eyes, you sit and prepare to be fed. Mum always says that. As she sets a plate of last night's leftovers in front of you, your mobile starts to buzz loudly on the table. You both glance down at it.

From: Tom

Hello, darling, what are you up to today?

You can't help but grin like an idiot. You always do when he talks to you.

To: Tom

Hi, Tom! I'm visiting with my mum right now.

"Who's Tom?" Mum asks.

You sigh and dismiss the question with a wave, telling her, "A friend of mine."

You look up, and you can tell by the look on her face that she isn't buying it. She gives you a look. "What's that goofy look on your face, then? That isn't a 'friend' look."

From: Tom

I'm not interrupting, am I?

To: Tom

No, but I think Mum thinks you and I have some kind of 'thing", which makes things awkward...

As if on cue, your mum chimes in again. "So, tell me, how long have you two been seeing each other?"

You glare at her, and repeat what you said earlier. "Tom's a friend, mum. Nothing else. Just a friend."

She laughs. 

From: Tom

Why is it awkward? You aren't embarrased, are you, love?

Your face goes bright red. Brilliant, you think to yourself. Thanks a bunch, Tom. Your mum is still giggling away. 

"Look at you!" she remarks, pointing. "'Just a friend' my foot! You can't keep things from me, young lady!"

When she calms down, Mum starts the interrogation. "What's he like, your Tom? Is he good looking?"

"MUM!" you gasp in disbelief, either at the fact that she has the gall to ask or the fact that she honestly has to ask if Tom Hiddleston is good looking.

To: Tom

She just asked me if you were attractive, so yes. It's painfully embarrassing.

From: Tom

That's actually a very good question...

You make a frustrated noise, which your mum thinks is meant for her. "Fine, then," she huffs. "If you're going to be like that.. we'd better get to meet him, though!"

You ignore that, because you are 100% done with this subject. You tell her you'll visit again soon and that you have to go before she can bring it up again. You just barely catch the tube back to your flat.

To: Tom

Ha, ha, very funny. I hope you know she's not going to drop the boyfriend thing now.. she wants me to bring you around so you can meet her and Dad!

From: Tom

Well, that escalated quickly... by the way, you never answered the question.

"What question?" you ask yourself aloud. And then you remember - he means Mum's question. Is he really asking if you think he's attractive? Is water wet? You ask him, just to be sure.

From: Tom

That's the one! Come on, darling, don't be shy..

That complete and utter bastard. Is he trying to kill you?

To: Tom

Of course I do. You're gorgeous. 

From: Tom

You really think so?

Oh, come on. This is rediculous.

To: Tom

Would I lie to you? 

From: Tom

I guess not.