Prolouge

Prolouge

"Blainey! Look at this! I can skip a rock" Lorraine shouted excitedly. She picked up a flat, smooth rock. She planted her feet shoulder-width apart, stuck out her bottom, poked her tongue out between her teeth, and threw the rock.

Plish-sh-sh-sh.

"4 skips! Haha!" the 12 year old did a little victory dance, while her twin brother, Blaine laughed at her. Their nanny looked on worriedly, while gently rocking their little 2 year old brother, Dwaine.  

"Miss Lorraine, step back, you might fall in! I don't want to return home to have your parents find you sopping wet!" she whisper-yelled, trying not to wake the baby.  

"Oh, Mrs Hannigan, I'm FINE!" she squealed as Blaine grabbed her from behind and flung her over his shoulder.  

"Pumme down! Pumme DOWN!" suddenly Blaine stopped.  

"Blainey? What's wrong?" she asked as he put her down slowly.  

"A policeman's talking to Mrs Hannigan. He doesn't look happy" Mrs Hannigan looked ready to burst into tears.  

"Neither does she" Lorraine whispered. Mrs Hannigan looked at them, and somehow, looked even sadder. She gestured for them to come to her. "I'm scared"

The police car pulled up in front of what used to be their house. Now, all that remained was a charred pile of wood, brick and ash. Their nanny started whimpering, stifling her sobs, while she rocked the baby tighter to her chest.  

"What, what happened Mr. Policeman?" Blaine whispered, as he clambered out of the car, Lorraine right on his heels. Tears pooled in her eyes.  

"Where's mom? Where's dad?" she whispered. 

Officer Vincent Marcus heard the young girls voice, and his heart broke, because he had to be the one who told them the terrible news.  

"Your mom and dad are... they're... gone" he whispered the word, almost wishing they hadn't heard him. Lorraine spun around, her eyes red and confused.  

"Gone? What, what do you mean?" she cried softly, her heart hoping beyond hope, that she was wrong. Blaine looked like he understood, and he closed his eyes.  

"Sweetie, Blaine, your parents, they're... dead" Mrs Hannigan murmured, reaching out for the young boy and girl. They both had identical looks of horror and sorrow on their faces.  

"No. No. NOOOOO!" Lorraine screamed