Chapter One - Adopted

~4 years later~

"Raine! Stop! I'm fine!" yelled Dwaine, trying to pull his sister off Kingsley Paxton.

"You think you can bully my brother and get away with it you little pinhead!" Raine screamed at the cowering 17 year old. Which was comical, considering he was a 6ft tall mass of pure muscle, with a puny head. Hence the name- pinhead.

"He's six and growing you bloody idiot!" she yelled.

"Hey, hey, hey, HEY!" yelled Mr Graham, the warden at their orphanage, Graham's Home for the Poor and Parentless. "Knock it off Raine!" he yanked her off the bleeding pinhead.

"You should be put in the nut house, you crazy chick!" Kingsley yelled, trying to stem the flow of blood coming out of his broken nose.

"Go to my office and cool off Raine, Kingsley, go to the infirmary" the warden ordered, red with fury, his mustache bristling. Raine huffed, before turning to her little brother.

"Are you sure you're alright D? The idiot didn't hurt you, did he?" she asked him softly, a dramatic change of tone, from her yelling a moment ago. Dwaine nodded, touching her cheek gently, where a bruise was beginning to form. "Don't worry about me" she chuckled softly. Then she sighed, and got up, heading towards Mr Graham's office, a place she was very familiar with.

"Watch Dwaine, and pack your bags... just in case" Raine told her twin, sighing wearily.

She plodded down the corridor, turning the corner. She bumped into something, making her fly onto the floor heavily.

"Hey! Will you watch where your go-" she looked up, and saw a man and a woman, concern on their faces. They were obviously here to adopt someone. "-ing"

"Oh my dear! I am so sorry about that, we couldn't see round this corner" the woman apologised profusely, while the man helped me to my feet.

"'S ok. You must be looking for Mr. Graham's office?" Raine asked them. The man nodded eagerly.

"Yes, this orphanage is quite a maze" his deep voice echoed around the empty corridor.

"Well, if you've been here as long as I have, you kinda get used to it. Anyways, I was just on my way there, come on, I'll show you" I stepped around them, and continued down the hall.

"So what's your name?" the woman asked cheerily. Her voice seemed so warm and inviting, that Raine couldn't help but answer.

"Lorraine Anderson miss, but I prefer Raine " she told them.

"You said that you've been here awhile. If you don't mind me asking, how long exactly?" the man asked curiously. Raine was silent before answering.

"3 years, with my two brothers, Dwaine, whose 6 and Blaine, my twin, we're 16" she sighed. "I wish someone would adopt my little brother. He doesn't deserve this kind of life. As much as I'd like someone to adopt me, my twin, AND Dwaine, it's really unlikely. People generally adopt younger kids" Raine sighed, before realising she had been going completely off topic. "Please don't let my life story affect your decision" she added hastily. The lady smiled warmly, her eyes twinkling.

"Of course not dear"

"Well here we are" she pushed open the door.

"Raine! Where have you-" then Mr. Graham noticed the couple behind.

"I was showing some new adopters to your office sir, Mr and Mrs-"

"Mark and Janice Collins" chimed in Mrs. Collins, extending her hand, and shaking Mr. Grahams one.

"Welcome to GHFPP! You've come to the perfect place for adoption" Mr Graham's voice immediately changing from angry and scolding to warm and welcoming. He never used that voice on Raine, at least, not since she was 13, and first arrived here.

"Yes, Raine has told us as much. Though, we did get a bit lost, Raine showed us the way, she's quite a lovely young girl" Mr Collins rumbled cheerfully.

"Really? Well, if you don't mind, Mr and Mrs Collins, I'd like to talk to Raine for a moment, and then I'll be right with you" the Collinses exited the room, with many 'we-dont-mind's". As soon as Mr. Graham shut the door, Raine slumped down into a chair.

"'Lovely young girl?' Are they really talking about the same person I've known for 3 years?" he asked sarcastically, sitting himself down on his high-backed, leather swivel-chair. She shrugged.

"How come you treat them so finely, and yet, you have so many conflicts with the other children? I half expected you to have led them deep inside the building, to get lost" the Warden asked, exasperated. Raine looked at him with steady, unwavering eyes.

"I may not be on friendly terms with some of the kids here, but that doesn't mean I want them to miss out on a chance of getting adopted. That would be just unfair of me" she told him steadily. "Do you really think I would do THAT to them, despite all the other things I've done?"

Mr. Graham thought about it, but he came to the conclusion that she was right. She may be overprotective, and somewhat violent, but he knew she would never have someone miss out on the chance of having a better life. Especially, her brothers. This brooding, myschievous girl would do anything for her brothers, that he could tell.

"No, but the fact still remains, you just can't beat up people!" he exclaimed with a sigh.

"2 things. One. He was beating up my little brother, who's 6! And he's 17! And Two. The Collinses are still waiting outside" she reminded him.

He blinked, before hurriedly ushering her out, apologising to the amused couple.

"We'll talk later Lorraine!" he called after her, purposely using her real name.

'Sometimes, that guy really annoys me' she thought.

She walked back to the courtyard, where basically everything was back to normal. She walked ovr to where her brothers were resting under the shade of a tree. Dwain looked up, and sprang to his feet. He ran up to her and encircled her neck with his skinny little arms.

"I thought he were going to make you leave Sissy!" he wailed, his tears soaking into her jumper.

"Not yet, he isn't" she murmured to him, holding him tightly. As she was putting him down, she saw Mr. Graham approaching her, followed closely by the couple she'd met earlier. "But they might be now" she whispered to herself. The Wardens next words confirmed her thoughts.

"Pack your bags" he rumbled seriously. As expected, Blaine sprang up as well, and her two brothers voiced their complaints.

"She can't go!"

"If she's going, I'm going!" But Mr Graham raised his hand, silencing their arguements.

What happened next, was totally unexpected.

"I wasn't just talking to your sister. I meant all of you pack your bags" his mustache twitched. It only did that when he was extremely angry or highly amused. Since he didn't seem to be radiating any fury... Raine gasped.

"No..." whispered Raine. Her brothers stared at her bewilderedly. What was going to happen?

"Yes." Mr Graham spoke firmly, before allowing himself to release the smile he had been concealing. "Pack your bags, you've all been adopted" Behind the large man, who had been their only figure of authority up until now, their new parents chuckled happily.

AUTHORS NOTE: HIYA ITS ME LIANNE! I'VE HAD THIS STORY IDEA FLOATING IN MY HEAD AWHILE SO I DECIDED TO TYPE IT DOWN. IT STARTED OFF WITH A DREAM, ACTUALLY. MOST OF MY IDEAS ARE DREAMS, TO BE HONEST. ANYHOO, ENJOY!

AND COMMENT WITH AN ICE-CREAM SUNDAE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP! PRETTY PLEASE!

(I ALSO APOLOGISE FOR ANY SPELLING MISTAKES - THE KEYS ON MY KEYBOARD HAVE BEEN ALL STIFF, AND I HAVE TO PRESS HARD ON THEM TO GET THEM TO TYPE WHAT I WANT)