Chapter 1

It was a crisp, autumn morning on November 23d, and Rose (Fern's older sibling), went out to the library. (If you couldn't tell, this was two years ago. Sorry for the interruption, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.) She had told her mom that she would be gone for just a little bit, oh but she couldn't be any more wrong. Her mom waited, and waited, and waited, but she never came. The next day Luise, (Sorry, I was bored of writing "her mom.") came out of her room with concern wrinkled on her face, and hidden fear in her eyes, though she did not hide it well. "What happened Mother," said Fern. Luise stroked Fern's long, straight, black hair fondly. "Oh how I wish you would call me mom."Honey, I'm not going to sugar-coat this, but your sister hasn't returned from the library since yesterday. I've already contacted the librarian, but she said she hasn't even seen Rose!" Horror spread across the poor ten year old's face. Rose had been Fern's only true friend, because all her other "friends" just want her for homework, because she has the intellect of a college graduate. Her inner ten year old wanted to cry or scream, but her genius kicked in. "Go assemble a search team. We need to find Rose now." Luise arched an eyebrow, with an authoritative look on her face. "I mean, I think we should find a search team. If you're okay with it." "Yes, we should," said Luise.
......... (If you don't know what the dots mean, it means time skip.)

It had been 2 weeks since Rose's disappearance, and the police has been as helpful as  a turtle on a high-speed chase. So, unfortunately, the police claimed her dead. Fern couldn't believe it, and so she went to look herself. She asked people along the city shops, and it all led up to one place.  The public bathroom. Sure not the most dramatic place, but both revealing and solemn. Fern was a little disappointed, because of the destination, but that one place changed the path of her destiny. (Super cheesy, right?) Fern went looking for, well, anything that would lead to her sister. Alas, with every minute doubt spread into her mind like a computer virus on an outdated computer. She had made the scenario in her head. Intelligent conversations always calmed herself down. But since there was no one "smart enough," she made due with talking to herself. As she checked in the second-to last stall, she saw in the corner, a small stone. But this stone was so beautiful with its swirling, pastel colors, and it was giving off a mysterious mist. Normally, such a stone would put some normal person in a trance. But with Fern's strong mind, she just brushed the trance off like some sand on her hands. She smirked, knowing that she was supposed to be hypnotized, so she praised herself. Fern isn't very humble, or emotionally aware. She felt she didn't need to be a sappy brat with ugh, emotions. She shuddered at just the thought of it. Anyway, you could tell that this stone was special, or even magic. Obviously, such a thought disgusted Fern but before she discarded the idea, she realized, it could be probable. All she needed is some tests.