Chapter 2

Fern gently carried the rock home, so it wouldn't do anything to mess up the data of her tests. She also cupped her treasure in her hands to hide it from her mother. I want to make sure my facts are presented well, so I have a better chance of them believing me, thought Fern. Although, it was rather hard to hide it, since it pulsed in her hands. She silently stepped into the house without making a noise. Fern memorized all the hollow places in the wood, so she wouldn't get caught. But her vision was drawn to the stone in her hand. It seemed so delicate, so frail, Fern felt the urge to just stay where she was and protect it. But she shook herself out of it. If I can just make it to my- "Hey Fern, how'd the search go," said Sofia, interrupting Fern's thought process. Sofia is Fern's older adopted sister. She is the weak attempt Fern's family made to fix the gaping hole in their family. Fern was not very fond of Sofia, and that was just an understatement. Their is nothing wrong with her, it just annoys me that my family already gave up on Rose, Fern fumed silently. Instinctively, Fern held her hands behind her back, hoping she didn't notice her stone.

She sighed, "I've uncovered some new evidence, that could be useful to the discovery of Rose." It was painfully obvious that Fern didn't like Sofia, and she was trying her best to create a bond between them. "Oh, is there anything I can help you with?" Fern was starting to get impatient, but just as she was about to make a snappy comment, she looked into Sofia's eyes. Her blue eyes held hope, swimming in her soft expression. But she can't help, this is my work, and my work alone, concluded Fern. "No." Sofia looked at Fern, trying to read any kind of emotion, but reading Fern's emotions is like fitting an elephant through the eye of a needle. "Oh, okay," whispered Sofia, her voice wavering. Her eyes glossed over, and she looked down. "I'll be in my room." Finally, thought Fern. "What a drama queen," muttered Fern under her breath. She rushed to her room, and shut the door, not realizing that she won't be coming out for a long time.