Remember and Regret

Marinette's Point of View

I was flopped over my bed in shame as I remembered and truly analyzed what I had done to my poor best friend.

I remembered what I had told Chat and how I reacted so angrily when he tried to cheer me up.

I had no regrets about the way I treated Adrien, but I hadn't realized that I was slowly developing into a different person.

To my surprise, I heard a small knock at my window. Two big green eyes were peering in nervously.

Already knowing who this was, I opened the window and let my kitty in.

"Hey Marinette," he smiled like he was a kid who had just gotten in trouble at school and was trying to convince his parents with his angelic act.

Without my consent, tears welled up in my eyes as I bit back my lip. A lump formed in the back of my throat as a gigantic wave of emotion crashed over me.

"Is everything okay?" He asked, his tone giving off big hints of concern.

I shook my head and looked away. I didn't want him to know that I was already on the verge of tears.

"Princess, what's wrong?" He asked me, only making me feel worse for yelling at him the other day.

I started to sob quietly as more guilt piled upon me. I knew he would see me, but I didn't deserve such an amazing friend.

"A-Are you crying? Princess, I'm so sorry," his voice started breaking like he was going to cry as well.

"Chat, I'm so sorry for yelling at you the other day! I-I don't deserve you!" I cried out in between my sobs.

He pulled me in a hug and I tried to resist it, only making him feel worse.

"I don't deserve you," I whispered to him, tears rolling down my cheek.

"Princess, I'm afraid it's the other way around," he gave a watery chuckle. His chin quivered like he was trying to keep himself from crying.

"I can't believe I yelled at you for trying to be a good friend! All because one boy rejected me, I started pushing away everyone I love! Today, I even broke my friendship with Alya! My life is upside down, all because I let the rejection of one boy ruin it!" I yelled, sobbing into my hands.

A tear rolled down his mask as he begin to cry.

"Look, I even made you cry!" Tears ran down my cheek.

"I'm not crying!" He sobbed.

"Kitty, there are tears running down your face," I told him, tears slipping from mine.

"I'm sorry for not stopping this guy," he whispered, sniffling.

Guilt was slowly building its way from the bottom of my stomach to the top of my chest, sinking my heart in the deep waters of regret.

"It's not your fault, Kitty," I choked out, wiping away my tears.

Those words only seemed to make him cry harder, like stabs to a wound.

"I shouldn't have yelled at you the other day, Chat Noir. I'm really sorry," I apologized, hoping it would help his tears stop.

Mine didn't and neither did his. We were both emotional wreckages of regret.

I did try to stop the tears, but I only found that I couldn't. Especially remembering what I had said to Alya.

Oh, she would never forgive me. I already missed her.

Then I realized, if Adrien saw me crying over this, he'd probably be laughing.

I couldn't give that brat the satisfaction of knowing he changed me for the worst.

I stopped crying, and I pulled Chat Noir into a hug, causing him to stop.

"It's okay, Chat," I whispered, rubbing his back.

"Shouldn't I be the one comforting you, princess?" Chat laughed emotionally.

I scratched the area behind his cat ears and he rested his head on my shoulder, relaxed. Then I heard purring come from his throat.

I didn't say anything at first because it was so cute and I didn't want him to stop. It was just like having a real kitty.

After a while, I couldn't mask my giggles any longer. His eyes opened and he seemed to have realized he was just purring. His face became entrenched with a redness and he looked away.

"Were you actually purring, Kitty?" I asked, giggling.

"Purring? What's that? Who? Oh, would you look at the time! I gotta blast! See ya later, princess!" Chat quickly made his way to the window.

"Bye Kitty!" I called out after him, hoping he would come back another day.