ten

The Nexxus Industries building clashed with the scenery around it. The place was sandwiched in the middle of grassland with forests and mountain ranges stretching across on either side. However, it looked like something that belonged in a metropolitan city. Glossy metal paneling had been constructed into the tall walls. Perfectly-shined window panes, making up most of the second and third floors, caught the faint sunlight lurking beyond the thick clouds.

Shielding his eyes from the glare, Oscar whistled. While he admired the lab before them, the others scouted the building for a way inside that didn't include using the front door.

The Atlas agents were no where to be found. He figured they already found a way inside. Either that or they were somewhere else around the building. He was sure they weren't in yet because Kismet already had the place on lock down.

Armed guards dressed in black and red were stationed in front of each visible entrance. Two stood next to the glass double doors near the front, a few more protected the garage-looking section of the base level, and the rest patrolled the perimeter, roof, and parking lot.

Red laser sights scanned the asphalt like beacons of death. Oscar shuddered as the image of his body getting lit up with bullets popped into his head.

''So,'' he said after a brief period of silence. ''Anyone got any ideas?''

Chase stood there rubbing his chin. He seemed to be too focused in finding an opening to answer the other boy's question.

''Yo!'' He waved a hand in front of his face. ''Earth to Blondie.''

Theo and Andre snickered.

Chase didn't seem to find it funny. He shook his head at Oscar. ''I don't see anything yet.''

''Looks like our friends haven't either,'' Emily said while pointing towards her right. Oscar followed her finger until his eyes landed on the Atlas agents lurking in the grass around the building. They were lucky the grass was tall, as their dark blue uniforms clashed with the greenery. Though, they were far away enough to not be spotted by the Kismet guards.

Stepping up next to Chase, he joined the others in looking for an alternate entryway. Every entrance was guarded. While they didn't have a view on the backside of the place, he was sure they were also being patrolled.

Behind him, Emily sighed. ''This is a waste of time. Why don't we just rush them? They won't see it coming.''

''That's a good idea,'' Stella said. ''If you want to get us killed, that is.''

The two of them glared at each other.

''Jeez, you two really need to settle your issues,'' Oscar mumbled. ''Seeing you two at each other's necks twenty-four-seven is starting to get annoying.'' The two girls directed their piercing stares towards him. He innocently raised his hands. ''I'm just saying what everyone else is feeling. Don't hate the messenger.''

Chase shrugged. ''He's got a point.''

''Whatever,'' Emily snapped. ''Anyways, I don't think we're gonna magically find an opening to get inside. Some force is going to be required.''

''Rushing in like headless chickens is not a good idea.''

They both turned to Chase, who sort of turned into their de-facto leader. He looked down at the both, a golden eyebrow raised as they awaited his input. Realizing they were waiting for him to say something, he smiled, embarrassed, and scratched the top of his head.

''Oh...uh...well,'' he began. ''You're both right, to be honest. There doesn't seem to be any way we can get in there without being noticed. But that doesn't mean we just run out there and hope for the best.''