Chapter 3: Nutcracker

I'm Han Jin Hwan, 12 years old and a 6th grader. I'm not like the others. I'm not popular or bullied by my classmates either. I'm just what you call these days a very ordinary kid living a very normal life until I met a girl named Park Sae Ron.

I was on my way back when I noticed some moving trucks parked across our house. There must be someone moving into the neighborhood. I went inside the house and was surprised to see Park Sae Ron and her mom having some refreshments with my parents.

Park Sae Ron and I are childhood friends. We've been practically raised together since we were little. We've bathed together, slept together, eat together, went to school together but when we reached the age of seven, Park Sae Ron just left. She and her mom went away to the States for some unknown reasons. That was why I was upset with her. She left without telling me anything.

"Jin Hwan-ah, is that really you?" Auntie asked. "Yah, you've grown."

"Jin-ah," Mom beckoned for me to come closer so I did. "Do you still remember Sae Ron? She's your childhood friend."

Of course I remembered but I shook my head. I saw Sae Ron's disappointed face.

"Oh, is that so?" Auntie looked sorry. "That's too bad. Sae Ron here could still remember you clearly though. She even won't stop talking about you with her friends back at the States."

I felt my eyebrows knitting together.

"Anyway," Mom interrupted."This beautiful girl here is Park Sae Ron. She will be attending your school starting tomorrow so I want you to take care of her. Is that clear, Jin-ah?"

I nodded half-heartedly. I might've agreed but I didn't actually mean anything I said earlier. Why do I have to take care of her? She's a big girl now. She can very well take care of herself now.

Tomorrow came. Mom specifically woke me up early that day so that I could accompany Sae Ron to the Principal's office. I was pissed. I pulled an all-nighter last night levelling up my avatar in a famous game. I couldn't stop myself from yawning.

"Sorry Jin Hwan-ah." Sae Ron was having a hard time keeping up with my pace. "You have to wake up so early just so that you could accompany me."

I stopped walking and turned towards her.

"I didn't." I said sounding pissed. "Mom woke me up so I didn't have a choice."

I turned around and continued walking. When we finally arrived at our school, I noticed that we were just the only students around at that time. Of course, it was too early.

"Yah," I pointed the direction towards the office. "That's the way towards the office."

"Okay." Sae Ron replied.