Chapter 1

Tyler had begged me to pack before the honeymoon, but I'm not one for listening.

You'd think after four years of him being right, I'd learn, but I don't. He knew I'd he ready to just move into the new house. Hell, I already tried to go there, but he patiently reminded me that I, of course, didn't pack.

Four years of engagement. Four years of wondering if the wedding would happen.

Four years of learning.

I always hated the heat. It's always too hot.

Sitting in my penthouse, there's boxes all over the floor. I'm digging through junk drawers, tossing meaningless shit into boxes.

"Sunshine, none of that is relevant." Tyler pipes up.

I shrug.

"It's okay."

He smiles, putting my clothes in boxes.

I love him.

When I see my engagement ring and my wedding band glistening on my finger, I smile, too.

His is shining.

I'm tossing things into boxes. Tyler picks up a strap of paper.

"Come on babe, you don't need this." He says. "It's a fortune from a cookie. You can go without this meaningless slip of papeer."

He lifts his other hand to grip it, and I gasp, tackling him onto the bed.

"No!" I yell, panicked. "That is the most important piece of my life! I've been looking for this for years!"

"Why? It's a scrap of paper." He smiles. I sit up. He's on the bed now, and I'm straddling him.

We've had sex so many times in so many ways. I could sit on any part of his body and he wouldn't be nervous.

It's just a casual position anyways.

I flip the paper over, holding my breath, hoping this is it.

This is the start of my life.

You'll meet somebody today who is going to be a fortunate stroke of serendipity. You've seen this person, but never spoke to them.

Lucky Numbers: 20, 22, 2, 3, 4, 174

I grin, leaning forward, kissing him long and hard. I've gotten better at kissing. I've gotten better at a lot of things.

I pull away, tears in my eyes.

He pucks the strip of paper from my hands and I watch his eyes scan it.

"The fuck? What's serendipity?"

"Serendipity is the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way."

He raises his eyebrows.

"Is that the google definition?" he grins.

"I memorized it."

"You're cute. I love you."

"I love you too."

"Why does it mean so much to you?" he asks.

"Because you, my love, are my fortunate stroke of serendipity."

He raises his eyebrows.

"What?"

"I read this. The next person I spoke to was the secretary at college. I'd spoken to her before. And after that was-"