Growing A Readership and How To Keep Them

Thank you for reading and voting x

A D V I C E  F R O M  A
W E R E W O L F
W R I T E R

|Growing a Readership and How To Keep Them |

When it comes to werewolf stories I always tell everyone that the werewolf category has some, if not the most, supportive and dedicated readers.

I mean YM didn't have a great cover or original name, but somehow people found it and liked it. Personally, I think that if you're writing a werewolf story, you are guarantee to have a couple reads, the problem is keeping them.

So, let's think about why we decide to follow people?

I follow people because of their stories.

I follow people because their writing in general is great.

I follow people because I genuinely believe that whatever they write will turn out great.

I also follow people that have been around since the beginning, like pre-werewolf days (what? You had followers yes I did because I'm a huge 30 Seconds To Mars fan aka Echelon and we follow each other all the time.)

I also unfollow people and you shouldn't take it personally, people change it's whatever.

So, if you have followers, the best way to keep them is to not be annoying.

How can you be annoying?

By sending out a lot of messages.

I see this all the time on my short story account crossingmountains and I swear to God I want to unfollow people all the time, but I don't because I've pledged to follow everyone back.

DO NOT SEND OUT IRRELEVANT MESSAGES.

No song lyrics, no personal stories, no 'I'm depressed' messages.

The reality is no one cares, they're following you because of you're writing not for you.

They're following you because of your story, not you.

I follow writers who I think are whiny, but their stories are good so whatever. But as soon as they start flooding my notifications with stupid messages I cannot click the unfollow button fast enough.

I'm a very open person, so I like to tell people my problems, but I do it in the author's notes of stories so they can skip it.

Which leads to my next tip... talking and interacting with your followers is also a way to keep them. I sometimes, randomly, make covers for my readers. Just as a way to give back.

Although, I understand if you're not into this type of stuff, I guess the only thing you can do is update often.

So the best way to maintain and build a readership is no annoying messages, interacting, updating often, and patience.

There's a lot of werewolf stories, people aren't going to see yours instantly, so get an eye catching cover and just wait. Trust me it'll happen.

I'm almost at 1M reads, but only have 2K+ followers, so know that you'll gain followers, but it happens at different paces for people.

Just keep writing, the rest will follow.

|Next Update : How to End Your Story |

Thank you for reading and voting x