Speechless (Part One)

Britney stared out of the car window, watching the scenery pass by her quickly. Her eyes drifting from the green of the trees, to the blue of the sky. As she made various shapes from the clouds, she thought about her aunt Kelly, and how they both used to do this whenever they would go to the local park together. This made her tear up, knowing that she would no longer be able to do that with her since she was gone. A single tear rushed out of her eye and down her cheek, she sniffled softly.
Adam looked over his shoulder at what he heard, and saw Britney sobbing. He reached his hand behind the seat and sat it on her knee in an attempt to comfort her, "hey, kiddo. What's wrong?"
She shook her head solemnly, "nothing..... I just got something in my eye, that's all," she lied, although her voice cracked in the process. Adam sighed as he pulled into the parking lot of a small strip mall, which was where the butchers shop was.
He removed his hand from her leg, got out of the car, and went around to her side and opened her door. He ducked his head down and sat inside with her, letting his arm rest around her shoulders.

"Will you please tell me why you're crying?" He pleaded with her as he watched another tear roll down her face and onto her lap.

"I miss Aunt Kelly...." She trailed off. Adam exhaled loudly and held her tighter, "so do I, Brit; so do I....." He replied, trying to stay strong for her sake.
They sat for another minute, as Britney wiped away the tears that just seemed to keep coming. Finally, her sobbing ceased.

"Ready to go?" Adam asked her.

"Yeah, I think so," she concluded. He smiled gently at her, and grabbed her hand to help her out of the car. Adam locked it automatically before they continued their walk up the sidewalk and to the entrance of Eddy's, the meat shop.
As they entered, a small, silver bell shrilled above their hands. Britney stared up at it, but Adam was still focused on getting to the counter, since they had used up a bit of time sitting in the car, grieving over....... Never mind. Today is supposed to be happy, he thought to himself. He knew that they needed to get back to his parents house before three, so they had enough time to cook the meat before the actual barbecue started.
He dragged her with him up to the check-out line, which is also where you order what you want. Their was no one there manning the counter, so Britney tapped the hotel bell pro-furiously. Adam grabbed her wrist and shook his head, signaling for her to stop just as a man came from the back room, wiping off his hands with a red rag.

"Can I help you?" He asked politely, looking down at Britney, then up at Adam. He gave him a small smile, "uh yes, could I get three slabs of ribs and four pounds of beef, please?" The man nodded and threw the rag aside, grabbing a pair of gloves out of a cardboard box while walking towards the poultry.
He carefully wrapped up everything he asked in paper, then stuck it all in a brown bag before handing it off to Adam.

"$56.89, Sir," the man told him. Adam retrieved his wallet form his back pocket, "you don't need to weigh the meat or anything?" He questioned.
He put a finger to his temple, "I have a scale right in here," he joked, tapping his head. They both laughed dryly as Adam handed him off the money, and traded him for the bag. He quickly thanked him, and turned to walk out of the store, with Britney flanking him.
They went back to the car and put the food into the spacious trunk, then climbed into the car. They both buckled themselves in as Adam jammed the key in the ignition, revving the engine in the process, before pulling out of the parking space and heading off once again.

They passed many streets and roads to get back, since most of the main ways they were used to taking were under construction. The detours lead them through a lot of neighborhoods. As they passed certain houses, Britney watched the kids play tag and catch with each other, having no worries what-so-ever. She envied their easy lives, if only that were me...... She thought to herself, sighing.
She continued to stare at everything passing by, the different house colors, the flowers, the decorations, and the people especially. She watched the old and young sit on their porches and lawns, laughing like happy people should.
As they slowed down for a nearing school zone coming up, Britney noticed a man and a woman standing on in the garage of a very nicely kept house. She watched them intently, noticing that the woman looked extremely upset. Britney squinted as she tried to assess why she may have that look on her face. But what she saw was definitely not what she expected.

There, standing not anymore than thirty feet from her, was none other than Kelly.

Had her eyes decieved her? She rubbed them with her small hands, but when she re-opened them, they had already passed where she hallucinated her missing Aunt.

"Uncle, turn around!" Britney shouted. Adam's eyes widened, but he kept going on the path they were on, "why, what's wrong?" He asked semi-calmly.

"Turn around, Uncle! I saw Aunt Kelly!"

His hands clenched on the wheel, he was at a loss for words.
Could she really have seen his kidnapped sister who everyone thought was dead?

He had to know for sure.

He immediately and without question, did a one-eighty in someone's driveway, and whipped around so they were driving in the opposite direction.

"Brit, where did you see her at?" He questioned her in a soft tone, so neither of them would over react.
She thought momentarily, then rolled down both of the backseat window to have a better view. She glanced to the left, then to the right, then to the left once more. She sucked in a breath of air and pointed viciously at one of the house she had just seen.

"There, there!" She shouted, jumping in her seat, although the belt restricted her. Adam jerked the wheel to the right and parallel parked terribly across the street. He removed his seat belt and turned around completely to face Britney, "now you're absolutely sure you saw her?" He pressed onto her. He was almost one-hundred percent sure she wouldn't lie about something this serious, though. As predicted, she nodded her head in small bobs, "yes!"
Adam exhaled loudly and pinched the bridge of his nose with his index finger and thumb.

"What do we do?" Britney was curious.

"I go get her. But you need to stay here, it might not be safe..." He trailed off.
She pouted as her eyes began to tear up for the second time today, "but.... but...."

"No buts, Brit," he closed. Tears ran out of her eyes quickly, "what if y-you don't c-come back?" She questioned. He looked away from her, then looked back, "I willcome back, okay? But if you don't see me for more than ten minutes, take this phone," he grabbed the phone attached to his car dashboard and showed it to her, "you said not to--"

"This is different. But like I was saying, if you don't see me, call the numbers nine-one-one and tell them where we are, alright?"
Britney nodded slowly. Adam patted her on the shoulder just before he jumped out of the car and landed on the asphalt. He trudged all the way up to the door of the house Britney claimed it was. He knocked three times and rang the doorbell. A man with a white t-shirt and jeans came out. He could've sworn he'd seen him before, so he decided to be as up front as he could about it, he took a deep breath before beginning, "do you know Kelly Thesian?"