t w o

Anger that had bubbled inside me moments before, dissolved as soon as I was racing down the streets in my car. I didn't care where I was heading, all I care about was getting away from Kyle. I hoped Emma would get the picture and kick him out. Hopefully physically.

  I stopped my car at the side of an old street that nobody really used. Older people lived on this side of town, and they really couldn't drive cars anymore, so they either depended on their two feet, or other people to drive them places. As I stared straight ahead, sitting alone in the darkening street, a taxi cab came rolling down the street.

  I watched as an older couple stepped outside, the man helped his love down the walk, and together they got into the car. Faintly, I could see the mans lips quivering. I turned my head away as they drove down the deserted street.

  Not really wanted to go back home, I stepped out of the car. The air was warmer today, after yesterdays rain, it seems muggy, and foggy out. I inhaled deeply, and strolled across the park I had parked beside.

  Finding an empty swing to sit on wasn't hard, as there was nobody here. It was a very nice playground, and I bet kids used to come here all the time. It was probably once a really nice place to be. There were benches lined around the park, where parents could happily sit and watch their kids, there was a swing set for bigger kids, and even one for smaller kids, there was a small park, with two slides, and a crawling tunnel; there was a big park, one large, long slide, monkey bars, and a half sphere with ropes lining it, fun to climb.

  I slowly swung my legs, and felt the swing move slightly.

  "What are you doing at this part of town, Owens?" I heard a gruff, but high voice ask. I stood up, and turned on the spot quickly. I found myself face to face with Dean Gates.

  "Whats it matter to you, Gates?" I said, and he smirked, coming closer, and stuffing his hands in his pockets. He didn't seem like the big tough guy everyone else saw. From here, I saw a scared little boy, probably dealing with some tough things right now.

  "It matters, because whenever I come here, to think, it's empty. Now where can I go?" He spat, and I sighed, "Here. I was just leaving."

  "Good."

  "Yep." I said. I didn't want to argue with this boy. He got on my nerves, and I didn't feel like being angry right now. I was already boiled by the idea of Kyle coming here. It bugged me enough to think that Dean needed to get away, just as much as I did sometimes.

  He didn't say anything, and when he fell silent, I turned around, heading back to my car, "Wait!" Dean said, but paused, and seemed to struggle for words.

  "Yeah?" I asked, my voice going back to the nice guy charade. He looked so broken, I wanted to piece him back together, fix him. I knew I never could.

   What am I saying?! I needed to get out of here, now.

   "I like your jacket." He said silently, and headed off in the direction he came from. I stood there, shocked. Completely speechless. He seemed so... childlike. So carefree. He complimented me, on my jacket, which was leather, expensive, not surprising.

  I headed back home, slowly, thinking through his facial features as he said that, his mouth turned up.. into a smile? Maybe. His cheeks had glowed red, maybe flushing? His eyes twinkled, and he had hurried away as if he was embarrassed to be complimenting me.

  I shook my head as I pulled into the large circle driveway. I didn't know if Kyle was still here, but if he was smart, he wouldn't be.

  Emma, once again, met me at the front door. I shoved her inside, out of the cold weather.