t w e n t y n i n e

I paced around the large Ballroom, eyeing the bright balloons and streamers spread across the ceiling and walls. My stomach heaved from all of the excitement, yet nervousness. I tried to inhale and exhale smoothly as the waiters and staff moved swiftly to their places.

The waiter standing beside the drinks gave me a thumbs up. I jumped suddenly as my phone buzzed against my skin. I sighed, my jitters were going to get me nowhere. I clicked on the phone, and opened it to reveal a new message.

It was from Emma, "Minutes away! Ready it up!" I tried not to run around screaming in panic as I called out for the lights and places. There was a little more shuffling, then the room was dark.

Our family and friends stood around me, but I hardly remembered they were there, I tried to stand right in the front, in the middle. I wanted Dean to see me first, before anything.

Somebody squeezed my arm, and my best guess was that it was Anna, and I smiled into the darkness, rolling my eyes at myself just seconds later, nobody can see you, Jake!

I heard heel against concrete, and knew they were in the outside hallway, I heard Dean grumble about a crappy restaurant, and bit my lip to keep from laughing.

"Ready?" I whispered, not expecting a reply, and knowingly, didn't get one. I didn't know if I was or not..

The door opened, casting a shadow over Dean's silhouette, and I heard him say, "What the-" Then he was cut off by the lights beaming brightly over the ballroom. I smiled, and joined in the loud chorus of, "SURPRISE!"

He stood there, shell shocked, then caught my eye. Why wasn't he smiling?!

Then it was there, beaming brightly, oh so brightly against the lights above us, his beautiful breathtaking smile. I beamed back and his eyes glistened with fresh tears, "Oh my, Jake. You didn't!"

Emma and Charlie were beaming too, as they joined the large crowd standing behind me, I started walking forward, and Dean bounded right into my arm.

"Surprise, love. Happy Birthday." I whispered. I felt his tears soak my tux, but I couldn't care less. He was smiling, and he was happy. Crying! Crying from happiness. Has he ever received something like this before?

Probably not.

But that was then, and this is now. Now is perfect. Now is beautiful. Now, means everything.

"Oh, Jake." He blubbered, I chuckled, and the crowd behind me broke into cheers, laughter, and applause.

"Happy Birthday, Dean!" Many voices sounded as they came towards us, Dean jumped down, and beamed at everyone who had come to join, his football team, all of his friends, anyone he's ever talked to, really.

We've got Anna, and Emma. Charlie, his sister. His sister is here to watch him turn nineteen. He looked around him as each and every person brought him in for a hug, some kissed his cheeks, some just smiled and shook his hand.

But he was happy, so happy, and I smiled every time he met my eyes.

He looked down at my suit and tie, "You're so handsome." He winked, and I flushed, "Don't remind me." I chuckled, he playfully knocked me on the shoulder.

I put my hands on his shoulders and twisted him around, Charlie and Emma came twisting through the crowd with a large chocolate cake on a platter, the fire of the candles beamed brightly against his smile.

Fresh tears formed in his eyes, "You didn't.." He wept, I chuckled, and patted his shoulder, "I did."

"Make a wish!" Charlie laughed, and for emphasis, Dean shut his eyes tightly, and balled his little fists together, then opened them and blew out every single candle. The crowd broke into another chorus of cheers, laughter and applause.