Chapter Twelve

"You summoned me?" Allaria asked as she broke the silence, her heart pounding in her chest.

The Duke and Duchess turned to each other, sighed, and then turned back to Allaria saying, "Yes... yes, we did."

Allaria had expected her Aunt and Uncle to be salivating in her pain and suffering but they just seemed indifferent. They had no smile or cheeky grins and their eyes didn't shimmer with the thrill of the chase. It made Allaria even more concerned.

There was something about the way Allaria broke off from the mold that her Uncle was never able to get over but for some reason, that wasn't showing, yet. Perhaps he blamed Allaria for tainting Guinean and turning her into a wild thing. She did know he blamed her for her disappearance, that's for sure. Ever since then it had been a little, hostile between the two which made their calm all the more disturbing.

Edmond, her uncle, stood up from his seat and gestured to his guards, "Leave us." he ordered, his tone oddly gentle. All that kindness seemed to leave his eyes as they fell upon Allaria. As if he was looking at some sort of colossal failure, "Can you explain something to me?" he asked, as he descended the steps of his throne.

Allaria had trouble maintaining eye contact with him, his gaze made her feel weak and inferior which was something she wasn't used to, "I don't know, can I?" Allaria snapped, reverting back to sass and backtalk as a defense mechanism. She winced at her own tone and immediately regretted her words.

Lucinda gasped, flicked her fan open, and started to fan herself as if she would be faint, "Oh my."

Edmond clenched his fists, "You will treat me with respect young miss." he sneered, fast approaching Allaria. She backed away slowly, an action Edmond noted. He started talking with his hands, "You need to stop seeing me as your enemy." he told her, forcing the harshness out of his tone, a decision that made his voice come across as strained and growly.

Allaria could feel her face heating up, "Are you kidding me?" she gasped, as if she was out of air. She took a step forward and hissed through her teeth, "I have lived my entire life under your thumb." she reminded him, emphasising her point by pointing her finger at him, "I have had to come up with the most creative ways to stay here as long as I have because you insist on making me a proper lady." she snarked, "Why can't you just realize I'm not what you wanted me to be and let me live out my life. No nobleman in his right mind is going to want me. If you send me to court I'll come back an old spinster."

Edmund stepped back, raising his hands up in the air and then ran them through his hair, "I don't know why my brother puts up with this from you but I will not tolerate such delinquent behavior in my presence."

Allaria couldn't help herself, she took a step closer, now stepping into his personal space, "Delinquent?" she asked, her eyes widening. She folded her arms across her chest, "My father raised me to be a strong woman... a real woman, not some pretty thing you can put away in a neat box and if you can't handle that then don't summon me into your presence." Allaria couldn't believe herself as the words came out of her mouth; she was in it now... so deep she could feel the air leaving her lungs as she drowned.

It was as if she knew deep down this was the last chance she'd ever get to say these things before they sent her away. Then her husband would keep her leashed just like Lucinda; sitting pretty in a big chair thinking she's secretly pulling the strings when in reality she's as useful as a stump in a farmer's field.

"My my." she gasped, waving her fan faster, and then snapping it back together. Her eyes darted to Allaria, "Don't you dare speak to the Duke that way!" she sneered. She turned to him with a knowing eye, "That tongue won't get her very far at court."