Chapter Thirteen

Allaria made her way over to the sword stand, armed with plenty of wooden swords for practice fighting. As she made her way over she ignored the staring eyes of the new recruits her brother was training. The regulars down at the barracks wouldn't blink twice at her presence but these new coy fish needed someone to help them get their jaw off the floor.

She felt like turning to them and snapping, yes, I'm a girl; get over it but that would be a useless endeavor. Besides, it was nice to be gawked at sometimes. Allaria rolled up her puffy arm sleeves and grabbed a sword off the rack. If she had any butterflies left her they all died as the sword hacked through the air; she missed her brother's sword.

Allaria set up shop with one of the dummy stands but positioned herself so she could watch her brother out of the corner of her eyes. With flames bringing in her eyes, she set upon the dummy, pulling her sword out, twirling it, and sinking it into its wooden skin.

With her fast-footed grace, she danced around the dummy, practicing her footwork and quick striking. As she took her rage out on the dummy and watch with glee as chunks of wood went flying off it, she could feel her emotions melting away. It always amazed her how fighting seemed to calm her, the cold interaction between blade and physical movement seemed to have a healing effect on her.

The dirt flew up from the ground as her quick footing stirred it up. It stuck to the sweat dewing on her forehead and mingled in with her hair. As she continued to work up a sweat, she could feel her light blouse clinging to her body, and the eyes on her increasing. Even though she knew everything was covered, the prying eyes were starting to subtract from the distraction fighting the dummy was supposed to be.

She rested her sword on her shoulder and went to make her way over to the ranged dummies so she could practice her throwing knives when her loud wailing on the dummy caught Carder's attention, "Allaria?" he called out, taking note of the familiar sight of his sister destroying one of his dummies.

He cocked his head and gestured to his second in command to take over while he walked towards Allaria, "Good to see your up and walking around." he mused, approaching her carefully as if she was a wild dog as he noticed her sweaty chest heaving up and down.

Allaria turned to him, thrusting her sword into the ground, "Yea thanks for coming with dad and helping Gauwyn." she said, looking around to see if anyone was watching, a couple of the new recruits were sneaking a peek every once and awhile but they didn't linger.

"I'm serious... you had me worried sick." he placed a tender hand on her shoulder which she quickly brushed off.

"I just burnt my wrist." she muttered and started picking at the leather wrapped hilt of her practice sword, her eyes darting around. The itch to get back to fighting to push the feeling away, was spreading and she couldn't help but show it in her actions.

"What's wrong?" he asked, unconsciously grabbing the hilt of his sword as if he was going to attack whoever or whatever was bothering her, her eyes locked onto it like a homing device.

"Nothing," she replied, swaying onto one foot to look past him, his tall, sturdy, body standing in the way of her and her targets. "I just need to bash some stuff out you know?" she asked, waiting for the memories to filter back through into his thick skull.

Carder shook his head, "No, what happened?" he paused, "Did you and Gauwyn get in a fight?" he asked and Allaria's hands trembled as she physically struggled to keep her hands from tearing out her hair.

"No Carder." she explained, rubbing her temple, "I just got out of talking with our Aunt and Uncle... they're sending me off to court." she looked around as if there was someone else she could ask if this was actually happening. "Come on Carder you remember last night don't you? I mean dad flat out said it."