Chapter Fourteen

"I had no idea she was told to take it easy." Carder explained as he defended himself to Doctor Underhill. He rubbed his temple as he paced back and forth, looking at Allaria tipping her nose back, sitting in the barracks infirmary.

Underhill buzzed around her like a bee would a flower, "Why can't you listen Allaria?" he asked as he flashed lights in her eyes, watching her pupils dilate, "I had to rush all the way down here." Allaria went to put her head down and face him so she could apologize but he tipped it back up, "Don't move." he muttered, and turned to Carder, "Take her up to her room and put her to bed; make sure she gets some sleep."

Allaria rolled her eyes, "You know I can't sleep and come on I don't need to go to bed." she protested.

Underhill pulled a vial containing shimmering crystals out of his pocket and handed them to her, "Don't fight me on this Allaria." he ordered, then shook the contents of the vial, the crystals clicking on the glass cage, "Your mother had me make these for you a couple days ago," Allaria grabbed the vial and looked them over; giving him a perplexed look, "put them in you tea and drink it before you sleep; you'll wake up in the morning fresh as a daisy."

Allaria laughed and put the vial in her pocket, "We'll see about that."

Underhill smiled, "These will work." and turned to Carder, "Can I have a moment alone with my patient?"

Carder looked up, his expression more caught off guard then surprised; Allaria imagined he was off on some train of thought, "Yes of course," he gestured to the part in the tent's door, "I'll be waiting outside."

Allaria watched as he left, the tarp swishing behind him.

Underhill squatted in front of her and sighed, "Allaria, I wanted to tell you I'm sorry about all of this." he explained and Allaria shook her head with a smile but winced as shooting pain went up her head and down her neck. Underhill put a hand on the side of her face, watching her eyes attentively, "Careful."

"Sorry." Allaria rubbed her head, giggling a little bit, "You have nothing to be sorry for... I'm not." she paused and looked at her hands, "I did what I had to. I couldn't stand by and let that innocent girl..." she stopped herself as she realized she was trailing off, "I did what I had to." She said firmly.

He stood up and walked away, turning to face the slit in the tent door, looking up to the sky, his salt and pepper hair catching in the light, "You should be proud." he told her, his hand tracing the tent crease as he looked to see who was around. He turned to Allaria and quickly made his way back over to her and spoke in hushed tones, "I heard what they're doing," he sighed, "It's not right."

Allaria shook her head and chuckled, "You'll be fine... you don't just rely on my business of late night scraps and cuts do you?" she asked, trying to put a positive spin on her predicament. She liked Underhill; he was just old enough to be wise but young enough to understand.

He chuckled, "I suppose not..." he shook his head, "Did you ever wonder why I've stitched you up all these nights and kept it secret?" he asked, leaning over to face her again, his hand gently stroking her head as she shook it, "Because I admire what you do... the slums lost a great champion today." Allaria blushed and turned away but he guided her face back to him, "Whatever they tell you, just know you've done a great job and you've made your namesake proud."

Allaria's eyes glazed over and started to swell with tears but she shut them down, sitting up straight with great pride and said, "Thank you... that means more than you'll ever know."

He smiled and ruffled her hair, "I'll call him back in?" he asked as he helped her up and she nodded, grimacing as she stood up, cradling her bruised stomach, "Can you promise me you'll go to your room and take a nap because I need to give your brother a lashing and I can't see you do it personally?"