Chapter 3: The Acquaintance's Peony

Authors note:
If this is your first time reading this, continue and enjoy!
If it isn't, be aware that I've changed significant things in this chapter! Enjoy <3
—————-

A low hum of chatter covered the small restaurant like a thick winter blanket and Aurora and Dean deeply inhaled the pleasant aroma of food.
The greeting of the scent of deep fried everything coming from the kitchen caused their stomachs to respond with grumbles. Yum.

She let Dean order the usual for her, as they came here often and he knew everything she liked and disliked.

Aurora loved coming to Daisy's, especially before it grew in popularity. Sure it wasn't the prettiest diner she's ever seen, but it was home to her. It withheld a great amount memories ranging from days she spent with her mother to bittersweet high school moments.

"I'll race you mommy!" An 8 year old Aurora screeched, eagerly jamming her straw into her strawberry milkshake. She bounced up and down on her knees on the plush red worn down seat, eyes wide and excited as she awaited her mother's response.

"Oh, yeah?" Her mom challenged, positioning her straw as well.

"YEAH!!"

"Ready....set? Go!" before she could even say go, Aurora was already gulping down the thick milk based drink and her mom laughed at the sight.

Daisy, the older woman who owned the diner, observed from afar, chuckling to herself and shaking her head fondly.

"Those two never change."

"Order for Dean and Aurara!" Two worn down food trays slid along the counter, spilling some fries on the way.
"Aurara" she grumbled, annoyed that the new worker didn't bother to read her name on the receipt correctly.

Dean picked up his own tray and stifled a laugh. 

Aurara shot him a glare.

It was packed today; all of the booths and two seated tables seemed to be taken. Although the booth seats were now filled with gashes and secret love note scribbles here and there, they were still somehow comfortable to sit on.

"Let's just sit here, Aurara." Dean pointed to a spot near the window nonchalantly. Aurora could see the smile he was hiding and couldn't stop from laughing a bit herself.

"Oi!"

The two college students situated themselves and began eating, now accompanied by silence.

Why was he quiet all of the sudden?

Aurora remembered she wanted to ask Dean about the man in black yesterday and assumed that was the reason for his moodiness. She didn't want to throw the question at him while he was enjoying his greasy soul food, so she waited a little bit, munching on her fries as well.

She tried to lighten the mood by cracking a few jokes, even kicking his foot from under the round table. Usually Dean would wince in pain and kick her back harder.

He didn't even react.

"Dean-" "Do we-" they both started at the same time.

"Go ahead." Dean shrugged.

"Are you all of the sudden upset or something?" Aurora inquired.

"No? I'm not upset."

"Is it about that guy...."

"Yeah, well...no-Look. That guy yesterday, do we know him?" Dean rubbed his temple gingerly. He seemed to be thinking very hard and Aurora could tell by his scrunched up eyebrows and his pursed his lips.