not enough || nico x reader (angst)

"Why does love hurt so badly sometimes?" you asked yourself aloud as that dreadful gloomy feeling overtook your heart once more. You were holed up in your room, lights off, curtains drawn, music playing softly in the background. You wanted nothing more than to curl up and die. A sob wracked through you as you remembered the events of yesterday.

*********
"I... I don't... love you back, [y/n]." Nico confessed in a low voice. Your eyes widened as you felt the sting of rejection pierce your heart. You felt like an utter fool for confessing to her now.

"Oh, w-well, that's okay. We... can still be... friends right?" The urge to break down and cry was strong, but you somehow managed to hold it back as you tried to alleviate some of the awkwardness that was lingering between the two of you.

"Of course! Nico wants nothing more than for us to be the best of friends, [y/n]!" the girl beamed, her usual brand of pep coming back instantly. Her immediate cheer and your hopeless gloom were ironic to you at that point; she didn't even see how much you were hurting. You were reminded of how much you loved the girl when you saw her smile at you, and you felt another surge of grief hit you when you realized she wasn't smiling because she loved you back. Your dream scenario had transformed into a disastrous nightmare that left you weak and helpless.

"Cool. I've gotta g-go now. Bye, Nico." you stammered, abruptly standing up and leaving the area before she could see you break down.

*********
And now you were sad and alone in your house, pondering why you weren't good enough for Nico. In your heart, you knew why she didn't love you. Tenga was her true love. But it hurt to think of that, so you pushed it out of your mind and allowed yourself to just be sad.

Tears streamed down your face onto your pillow constantly, but you had no desire to stop them from falling. It was pathetic to be wallowing like this, you knew, but it was impossible to control.

"I'll never be enough. I'm not him." you sobbed. Your phone buzzed again and you knew it was Nico, but you couldn't bring yourself to read her message. You knew it would be something cheery and cute, and her happiness wasn't what you needed to be faced with right now.

Turning your face into your pillow, the one thought you had been trying so hard to avoid crept into your mind:

I'll never be what she's looking for.

And you shamelessly let yourself weep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Angst hurts my heart, but it's what you guys want so I will power through it! This was sad for me to write. I don't want my lovely readers to be so sad. Nico will love you forever (just like me) so don't be discouraged!

More drabbles will be on the way, as I am slowly but surely cranking them out. Thanks for the patience! (',,•ω•,,)

requested by the awesome yoshikos !!!