Chapter 10: Progress

Chapter 10

Progress

I barely had had enough time to move out of the way before the massive black tire came flying at my face impossibly fast.

Screaming, I ducked to the floor and was rewarded by stinging pain in my palms as they scraped against the rough rock.

But I didn't have time to worry about my bleeding hands, because soon another one was being launched at me, and I had to roll out of the way as quickly as possible.

Scrambling to my feet, I tried to get back on the offensive by shifting one of the practice dummies I'd spotted lined up against the wall back at Alexander.

It wasn't big enough to actually hurt him, but it was enough to knock the wind out of him as he fell back and hit his head on one of the seats.

This gave Asher a chance to swoop in, her bounding footsteps thumping through the training room obnoxiously, and try to contain him.

I bit back a laugh as her massive arms scooped him up like a rag doll and squeezed him close to her chest before dragging him out of the room, all the while he spat out various profanities at me, red-faced and with eyes like an enraged pitbulls.

It was really quite comical.

"Note to self; piss off Alexander more often," I said aloud, my voice bouncing off the walls.

"I would advise against that," a familiar regal voice observed calmly, and I jumped, unaware that I wasn't alone.

Akshana chuckled from her stance in the doorway behind me, amused by my skittish reaction, but then her face went as stone cold as the walls of the training room.

"I was watching you shift," she began, eyes piercing mine as she sized me up. "and I have to say, you do have some promise."

At that, a ghost of a smile lingered on my lips.

"But you are reckless and foolish as well."

And just as quickly it disappeared.

"You let Alex's snarky comment get under your skin, and then you started fighting with what is supposed to be your own teammate, simply because he hurt your feelings." She said the last few words sarcastically.

"It wasn't like we were trying to kill each other," I mumbled feebly in my defense.

Her black eyes stayed blank and emotionless, but behind them there was a flicker of impatience.

"Reckless and foolish," She repeated firmly. "You may be a fast learner and you may be a good Shifter Kaylee Meyers, but you have much to learn." With that, she turned on her heel and walked out the door.

I didn't even ask how she knew my last name as I watched her go, because her previous words echoed in my ear drums.

We know much more than you think.

***

I was exhausted.

Everyday for the past week Asher had me training until I ran myself into the ground.

Because of the past outburst, Alexander was rarely allowed to show up to my training sessions, but when he did he kept quiet and only watched me with a reproachful glare.

I don't know why he even showed up in the first place.

Especially because he was long since done with his training.

The physical exercises, as taxing as they were, were nothing compared to the Shifting practice.

I was still adjusting to my abilities, and so if I did too much at once-which Asher made sure I did-I was rewarded with vomiting and occasionally blacking out.