Chapter 18: Tangled

Chapter 18

Tangled

"So, what? She just let you go? Just like that?" Alexander asked me over a generous plate of thickly sauced noodles, his eyes searching mine with a look of disbelief.

I didn't blame him. Akshana may not have been a tyrant, but she certainly didn't posses the walking ray of sunshine reputation that normally comes with stories of the minutely guilty being let go chalk free.

It was a little while after my rude awakening in the infirmary, and a lot had transpired in the time that had gone by.

** Earlier **

"Well look who decided to join the party," I laughed bitterly when I saw the slender shadow that was Akshana enter the room. "Let me just go get out the punch and chips for everyone!"

She snorted in a graceful manner that only she could pull off and took a seat next to me. I couldn't help but smugly notice that she sat just out of my reach.

"I'm glad your sense of humor is still alive and well."

"Oh, but I couldn't give that up, that's why everyone likes me so much! I mean they all came in here to visit me didn't they?"

I wasn't quite sure why I was acting the way I was, but I supposed it was better than the alternative, which was acting like the victim. I was all too used to the victim role, and I was sick of it. The bitter, bitchy prisoner with a chip on her shoulder was much more fun to slip into.

Akshana however, didn't seem to be amused. But then I don't think she ever looked amused, or anything other than mildly content when it came to positive emotions.

"Look, Kaylee, I understand why you're angry." She began in a regal tone. "But I have to keep the safety of my people at the highest priority. It's my job as their leader. And seeing as you once used that as a bargaining chip to get to visit your prisoner friend, you must understand why certain precautions are necessary."

Her words brought me back to when I first stumbled upon Adam, and what he had shouted as I was dragged away.

"Interesting that you would say that," I began, testing the waters a bit even though I knew I shouldn't have been doing so.

She raised a brow at me patiently, willing to hear what I had to say.

I knew I had told her Adam didn't say anything to me, but I was curious to see what she'd do if she knew that the real threat was still hidden among her precious 'people'.

When my silence stretched too long, she prompted me to continue, clearly curious now that I had brought it up.

"What do you mean? Why is it interesting?"

I only smirked and looked away from her, staring back up at the light dangling above my head.

"How long does the serum last?" I asked instead of answering her question, inwardly debating with myself as to whether or not I should tell her while outwardly trying to make it appear as if I was the one in control of the situation and only toying with her.

She sighed and stood, moving fluidly to stand behind her chair and grip the back tightly in her hands.

"The one Claudia gave you should wear off soon."

I stared still up at the blinding light, even though it was beginning to hurt my eyes, and considered my options.

She has every right to know, after all it is her town. A proud voice said in my head.

But at the same time, I don't know who the traitor actually is-if she would even believe me when I told her-I just know that there's still one out there. Maybe one I even saw earlier. Hell, for all I know it could even be Akshana, and she could've locked Adam up just to cover her tracks. A suspicious one that admittedly sounded more like me replied.