Chapter 16: A Lesson in Magick

Chapter 16

A Lesson in Magick

I let my eyes wander generously over Alexander's body as he brought the car roaring to life, and found myself thinking that if you were to put aside the arrogance and hot temper, he'd actually be attractive.

What with his sculpted features, amber flecked eyes, and the thick locks of blue-black hair that framed his face effortlessly.

"Enjoying the view?" He asked with a satisfied smirk, raising a dark brow at me mockingly.

I jerked my head away as if he had hit me and felt my cheeks begin to burn, embarrassed that he caught me staring and somehow sure that he heard what I was thinking.

"I was just wondering when you were going to stop checking yourself out in the rear view mirror and start explaining what the hell faith trust and pixie dust has to do with my shifting." I snapped, mentally reminding myself not to bother looking at Alexander as anything other than a nuisance who on rare occasion let an empathetic side of him come out.

He rolled his eyes, but the triumphant grin still danced on his lips as we pulled away from my house and back onto the main road.

"You were the only one doing the checking out," He purred, clearly enjoying our back and forth much more than I was. "But don't feel bad, I've been known to work my charm on plenty of girls with stronger resolves and smoother lies than you."

Is he serious?

"First of all, I wasn't checking you out, so shut up. Second of all if all you're going to do is be an asshole I will gladly walk back to Valerod myself and ask Akshana about magick because I know for a fact that she won't act like an immature testosterone driven teenage boy when I ask her."

I didn't pull my eyes away from the scenery passing by my window, but for a moment of priceless conversational silence, Alexander had no witty self reverential comebacks, and I let myself smile the slightest bit.

"Fine, there's no need to go flinging yourself out of a moving vehicle just to try to get away from your attraction to me." He sighed with a theatrical amount of grandeur.

"Alexander so help me god," I began through clenched teeth. "I am about five seconds away from shoving my foot so far up your-"

"Alright alright calm down, I'll tell you." He interrupted, the jesting in his tone gone.

"Thank you," I muttered begrudgingly, pulling my feet up onto the seat and hugging my knees to my chest.

"What do you want to know, specifically?" He asked while we were stopped at a small intersection, the few cars with a green light moseying by as if they hadn't a care in the world.

"What did you mean when you said that you found me because I have magick in my blood?" I turned my eyes back to him, but kept my cheek resting on my knees.

At first he was quiet, most likely trying to find the right words to say. Then with a messy tousle of his hair that didn't seem to actually ruin it whatsoever, he began.

"All beings with abilities, powers, gifts, whatever you wanna call it, have magick in their blood. And when you're near another magickal being, you can sense it. It sort of feels like...like a tingling in your bones. Like a live wire is running through your body. Anyways, magick is passed down through your biological parents, or in some cases just one of them. It's sort of like, if your parents were good at chess then you're probably good at chess, only obviously chess and the ability to essentially imprison someone in their own mind are entirely different things."