Until Next Time

Being a hunter meant having a healthy acceptance of your own death. It was just part of the job.

Go on a hunt and you live or die.

Sometimes it was almost worth it. You could preform some last breath act of heroism and give your life for someone else and be remembered by the person who would then name their first born after you and that first born would tell their first born about some valiant warrior of all that was good.

But that rarely happened.

Most of the time when hunters died it was in horribly painful ways, quite often alone. If the hunter was lucky enough to still have family and friends, then a bottle or two of scotch would be opened, but never tears.

Because that wasn't the hunters way.

Because hunters had to be brave and fierce and not give a shit if their baby brothers killed each other or if their mums were murdered under their Christmas tree because of some bullshit blood debt.

No. You had to suck it up and burn the body.

That's why when her father walked in and told her and her siblings that their fucking fourteen year old brother would be remembered as a hero, she left.

She couldn't handle the hunters life, so she ran.

But it always caught up.

~*~

When her father had found her bleeding out a few months later with a bite mark, he gave her two options.

Run or die.

He had convinced her that her siblings would never accept her now that she was, in his words, tainted.

He said she was lucky that he didn't shove his dagger through her heart where she stood for 'breaking the code.' He would spin some story to tell Axel and Lorelei that wouldn't make her a complete disgrace in their eyes.

So she packed up some of her things, gave him a nod and drove off.

She had been in hiding for the better part of seven years. The first two years were horrible to say the least. Always moving around and getting used to the temptations that came with what she was forced to become. The worst part was having to lie to her family.

To never see her brother running around at Christmas, carols blasting out of his stereo, with tinsel and fairy lights hanging from his muscular, tattoo covered arms or to hear her sister ranting about mythology and whatever book she was obsessing over at the moment.

It was at that two year mark that she had decided to give in to her desires to see her brother and sister. She had her temper under control as well as any other problem that could come up. But being the good child she was, she called her father up to see if he thought it was okay. His voice mail was Axel's voice, regretting to inform the caller that Ruben Tempest was dead.

She found out that day that her temper wasn't as controlled as she thought.

She ran again after that, this time to Canada. In the time she was there, she had settled down, bought an apartment and even opened a ballet studio.

It was there that she first met another person like her.

When she was first bitten, it confused her that she was different from any other werewolf she had been taught about. Now she understood. Just like there are different lores about witches and fairies and spirits, there are different lores that apply to werewolves.

Laura Hale helped her understand that. She explained all the things that came with the bite, and commended her for figuring so much out herself.

That was how they became friends at least. Everything else came later.