• Southern Courtship ; 5 •

"Glenn, Tara, Noah? Nice to meet you. I'm Aiden. You met Nicholas pulling gate duty. This is Deliana," I gave a short wave, slightly uninterested in introducing myself. I found myself looking to the ground, my hands clasped behind my back respectfully. Although I had much in common with these people, I didn't trust them. The situation made me quite uncomfortable, so I was glad to be leaving soon.

"Hey," Nicholas muttered. His expression, as calm as ever, aside from that familiar suspicious glint in his eyes. He was a secretive person. I couldn't help but notice how he observed the three of them, obviously setting himself apart from them. Glenn gave a nod to me, while Tara and Noah just smiled.

"You're Deanna's son?" Glenn asked Aiden, something he was eager to change the subject about. His excuse was that he didn't want to seem like a kiss up or a spoiled brat.

"That's right. I hear you got experience making supply runs," Aiden quickly answered. Confidence was written all over his face. I was tempted to question his behavior, but instead, I ignored my concerns. It couldn't be anything more than 'newcomers nerves,' I assumed.

"I saw your pantry. You guys seem to do pretty well," Glenn stated, speaking for the trio.

"Yeah, well, had some training before this. ROTC. Was nearing lieutenant when this shit blew in," Aiden tried lightening the mood.

"My dad did ROTC," Noah related, smiling as he remembered his father. I could suddenly see it. That look of loss. Before this, I was pretty much accustomed to that feeling.

"He didn't make it?" Aiden asked, making me glance up at him in disbelief. That was out of his place to ask.

"Nah."

"I'm sorry," Aiden tried, but I knew it didn't help. Losing somebody was never easy, especially in this new world that we lived in. I should know. I lost my dad before all of this even came close to happening. I guess you could say that I was prepared for loss in as many ways as possible.

"I'm sorry a lot these days."

"I can understand that," I muttered, glancing up at Noah. He nodded.

"If you ever feel like talking about it, feel free to come and find me," I stated, watching as he nodded again.

"Thanks," He said softly. Aiden glanced at me in shock, probably because I never told him that my dad died before the outbreak. I didn't like to talk about it, mostly because the people that didn't have it happen to them couldn't possibly understand.

"Come on, I'll show you the ropes," Aiden stated, beginning to walk towards the gate, but I quickly stopped him.

"I'm actually gonna head back to my moms. We're gonna be training if you need me," I stated, my hand clinging to his arm. The others watched, curiously as Aiden gave me the okay. None of them expected him to kiss me, I could tell just by the way their eyes got larger in size. I smirked.

"Don't be too much of an ass for me please and thank you," I grinned as he shook his head.

"You two?" Glenn said with shock in his voice. I rose my eyebrow in response.

"Oh, no. It's just, you don't seem like a pair," He tried to back track but failed. "Actually, sorry, just completely disregard me."

"I was planning on it," I joked.

"But yes we're together," Aiden laughed, and threw his arm over my shoulder. "She keeps me in check."

"When I have to," I gave him the side eye. "I'll see y'all later. If he gets too cocky, please be my guest and give him a reminder that I'm not afraid to beat his ass up," I smiled.