• Southern Courtship ; 30 •

— WARNING —

Some situations in my story may be suitable for those that are (18+) only. This chapter heavily contains sexual content and instances of violence! Please read at your own risk.

— DISCLAIMER —

Please don't forget to vote and leave a comment down below! I've been lacking motivation lately, so I apologize for such a long wait. Writer's block has forever been my greatest nemesis.

• • •

[ N O W ]
Durham, North Carolina
175+ Miles from Virginia

It was late in the evening. The sun had painted the clouds bright pinks and yellows while the compound continued crafting materials like they had every other day till the sun receded past a line of sight. The base was neatly tucked inside of an old manufacturing plant. Huge and stocked with rolls of sheet metals and materials, it provided a rather comfortable spot for security. After a month, it was theirs for the taking, free of the dead, and secured using the plethora of materials they had within the building.

Danny and Liam oversaw the compound, under the direct orders of The Sanctuary. Although once Alexandria had taken over the surrounding Virginia factions, they went into hiding. They worked to craft weapons, as well as build their manpower by claiming govern over the small groups they'd found in North Carolina. They continued Negan's legacy using the power his control had inspired as their own. They enjoyed it; being powerful. Being the voices of reason, even if that reason was far from what was right.

The two had considered the thought of Negan being dead, but Danny dismissed the idea, figuring that a man of his stature couldn't possibly just be gone. He was too important to their mission. He was too vital to be killed by a group of post-world suburban living pricks. Negan had a fucking army at his disposal, there was no way in hell he was gone, he had convinced himself many times in the past.

Danny was confident; confident that the man in charge would rise back to his throne and be nothing short of grateful for his General—as he'd once called himsecuring it. Liam lounged in his recliner, staring off into the surrounding perimeter of the compound. They had huge steel sheets of metal blocking it off, but from the rooftop control room, the two of them could see the whole expanse, including well beyond their walls.

They had been quiet, for once, enjoying the view. After Danny locked up Terrance and Jeroni, on opposite ends of the building, he'd gone on a little stroll, checking to make sure everyone had been doing their jobs. Long before the Sanctuary had been overrun, Negan had instructed them to simply mass produce as many weapons as they could muster. Of course, they'd done as they were told. To this day, they worked day-in and day-out, doing the only thing they knew how to--following orders.

In front of them sat a handheld radio. The sound of notifying static made the two of them glance at it.

"Cardinal dogwood, boys."

Liam hid his astonishment behind the lit cigarette in between his fingers as he jumped up from his chair. The son of a bitch was alive after all, he thought, taking a deep drag before he squashed out the cigarette and tucked it behind his ear.

"What'd I fucking tell ya?" Danny grinned, as he snatched up the radio and hooked it on his belt loop. Liam ignored him, as he climbed down the ladder to the first floor of the building. The man standing guard below them gave them a look, requesting directions.