13: here u go finally an update that didnt take over a month !!!!

It had all boiled down to a whole load of nothing in the end, but still that did very little to bridge the gap between James and Sirius. Although their argument had faded out into little more than off ward glances and sometimes questionable remarks, it was still very much there - thoroughly unresolved, and instead just left to fester, to just left to grow and mutate out of control.

It was more so down to just how close they had been in the first place as it was that which served to significantly highlight the difference held between them in brooding looks and prolonged silences that had such a habit of turning sour and uncomfortable. As much as it didn't directly relate to Remus or Peter at all, they found that it was affecting them just as much, if not more than James and Sirius themselves. Bridging the gap between two very stubborn, very pissed off people was painful enough, let alone trying and failing to.

The fact of the matter was that they just weren't very sure as to what they were actually supposed to do. After all, situations such as this were so few and far between, and it certainly didn't help that the pair of them only seemed to agree whole heartedly when it came to not breathing a word of what had actually gone down between the two of them. Of course, there was no easier way to fix an argument between two of your insanely stubborn best friends than not knowing what it had really been about to begin with.

James had taken upon pratting about the school just that little bit more than usual, just to ensure that everyone was entirely confident in their knowledge that he was just that little bit pissed off with everything. As painful as it was though, he was perhaps infinitely easier to deal with than Sirius, who had taken to dark glares and brooding and hiding up inside of himself, refusing to say much of any note to anyone at all.

With James there were limits, even if at times it didn't seem so, but there definitely was a line as to how much of an asshole he could be. James got bored easily, James listened to Lily Evans with her prefect badge and auburn hair and pretty face. He might come to his senses as the night drew in and pulling on the dickhead act just began to require more effort than he actually possessed.

With Sirius, however, locking himself up inside meant you just weren't getting inside, no matter how much Remus might have tried - how long he might have sat with him, watching the sky, watching the world turn from a bright blue to an overbearing shade of dark grey. As little as it seemed that he'd have any luck getting anywhere, Remus still found himself just so very stupidly determined to persist, to sit around and fit the definitive look in Sirius' now unwelcomingly vacant eyes himself.

It was a lot for one argument. That was all Remus could say, as he came to the end of his tether, and found himself so very much without a single notion of quite where to go from here, because there was no doubt from this point forward that the mess they called by the name of nothing was anything but the such, and instead went around under the name and the power of the whole world. Whatever this was, it was one hell of a something, and Remus could do so very little more than spend afternoons sitting around hoping Sirius might come around.

The thing with Sirius was that it just wasn't so much the silence that stood out to Remus, that really made the impact, but what lay behind it: the troubled look in his eyes, the mismatched bundle of thoughts whizzing so desperately around his head. Remus could only begin to imagine what it was that held him down like that - a crushing weight, one hell of a mess, and something that Remus couldn't even begin to hope to unravel.

With the passing of three days, James had just about calmed down, or at least gotten bored with it all, but by no means more comfortable with the idea of actually detailing to either Remus or Peter just what the fuck any of this might be about. Sirius, however, as the majority of fifth year were sat around the fire in the Gryffindor common room, chattering excitedly about the quidditch match to come, found himself alone, upstairs in the dormitory. He sat by the window, watching the stars, watching the moon, watching the sky, wondering just at which point afternoon became evening and evening became night; from behind his eyes the world seemed suddenly so fast - out of control even.