Chapter 4

open those eyes there's so much around you, and give this world a chance to save you

Paul Kellerman's P.O.V.

Paul hung up the phone and rested his elbows on his mahogany desk. He admired the wood for a moment, it's highly polished surface reflecting back at him. It was a beautiful piece of furniture, indicative of his newly acquired status as Congressman.

However, it was not the weight of his position that was concerning him right now. The instructions he had just received troubled him. And furthermore, he didn't know how he was going to explain this to Scofield.

He was abruptly interrupted by the buzzing of the intercom and he jumped slightly.

"Yes, Cathy?" he asked
"A Mr...Scofield to see you Congressman." she announced in a hesitant tone that told Kellerman that she was highly suspicious of his visitor. Paul paused. Michael's timing was unbelievable. Well that meant no time to plan what he was going to say.
"Congressman?" Cathy problem, uncertainly.
"Thank you, Cathy. Please send him in." it was silent for a second.
"Are you sure, sir?" she asked, clearly not thinking this was a good idea.
"Show him in, Cathy." he said firmly.
"Yes, Congressman." she said immediately.

After a few seconds there was a gentle knock on his door and Cathy entered, Michael following closely behind. He looked terrible.
"Can I get you gentleman some coffee?" she asked, gesturing towards the chair opposite Kellerman for Michael to take it. Her tone just about covered that she did not necessarily consider Michael to be a gentleman at all.

Considering the state of him, he was not altogether surprised by her attitude. He looked Michael questioningly, but he shook his head solemnly.
"No thank you, Cathy. Hold all my calls, please."
"Yes, Congressman." she replied, exiting the room with one last suspicious glance in Michael's direction.

Paul rose from his comfortable chair and walked over to a small table by the window where he took 2 glasses from a silver tray and poured iced water into each from a glass jug. He placed one in front of Michael and retook his seat. Michael took a small sip before both men spoke in perfect unison:

"We need to talk."