Chapter 8

he had the power to change the world, but couldn't be with the one he loved

Agent Todd Wheatley's P.O.V.

As Todd burst through into the basement he heard a door slam in the distance. He led the guards down the staircase and as they rounded the corner, he raised his gun in caution. There was a body lying on the gangplank, smoke rising up from two thick electrical wires. He frowned and moved slowly forward.

As he neared the body he instantly recognised Michael Scofield. What the... Scofield's body was limp and lifeless, his hands horribly burned. Carefully he crouched down to feel Scofield's pulse, choosing his throat rather than his charred wrist. There was a beat: faint and slow, but he was still alive. If Scofield was here, then Tancredi couldn't be far.

He pulled his cell phone from his pocket and dialled headquarters.
"I need a med e-vac, stat! Miami-Dade Women's prison." He waited for the woman on the other end to confirm and hung up. "You!" he spoke to one of the guards. "Stay here with Scofield. The rest of you, with me!" he ordered and they obeyed without a word.

He continued down past Scofield, eventually coming to the door he had heard slam earlier. He pulled. Nothing. He pulled again. He swore and kicked the door.
"Can you open this?" he asked one of the men who had followed him. They all shook their heads.
"It's electronically sealed, sir." one of them explained and Wheatley cursed again. He took the walkie talkie from his belt and clicked it on.
"Warden, I have Scofield. Tancredi's gone. Have the Sheriff set up roadblocks on all roads in a 10-mile radius, she can't have gotten far. "
He didn't wait for her reply before heading back to where Scofield lay. Did he stay with him and escort him to hospital, or did he take to the roads and go after Tancredi?
The police could handle the roadblocks. He didn't want to let Scofield out of his sight.

Todd stepped up into the helicopter as the EMTs slid the stretcher in. Scofield was still unconscious, but the Technicians had managed to stabilise him. As they were taking him off he pulled his cell from his pocket and dialled the number he had been given. It rang twice before a familiar voice answered. He shouted to be heard over the deafening sound of the propellers
"Congressman Kellerman? Agent Wheatley. I had orders to tell you when he had Scofield and Tancredi."
"Yes." was the man's only response.
"I'm afraid Tancredi is in the wind. Local Sheriff's department is..."
"What about Scofield?" the Congressman interrupted abruptly. Todd frowned, but shook it off.
"We have him, Sir. He is badly burned, we're taking him to..."
"Burned? How?" Todd was interrupted again.
"They are electrical burns, Sir."
"Is he alive?"
"Yes, Sir." Todd's mouth fixed into a hard line. The Congressman's line of questioning was off somehow.
"Which hospital are you taking him to?"
"Mercy, Sir." There was a long pause. "Sir?" he prompted.
"Very well. Keep me informed, Agent Wheatley."
"Yes, Sir." The Congressman hung up.

As they touched down on Mercy's new helipad, Todd could see they was a medical team already waiting for them. They worked quickly and efficiently with the EMTs and within a minute, they were already in the elevator and heading down to the ER.

To his surprise, Michael was herded straight into a private room. He knew enough to know that this was not procedure, even for high profile patients like Scofield. It took hours to get a room, usually.
Nurses were fussing around their patient with a bowl of water, gauze and various tools of the trade.

"Agent Wheatley?"

He turned to see a doctor holding a clipboard. Why were they always holding a clipboard? They couldn't possibly have Scofield's details yet, anyway.
"Yes." he replied.
"I'm going to have to ask you to step outside whilst we treat the patient." Todd folded his arms across his chest.
"Not a chance. He is my prisoner and I am not letting him out of my sight." he replied firmly.
"I'm sorry, Agent Wheatley, but I am going to have to insist. Let my staff do their work. He's not going anywhere in his current state anyway." the doctor said calmly in a professional manner, gesturing for Todd to leave the room. Todd just stared at him for a few moment, his lips pursed in anger.
"Fine. But I'm putting agents right outside this door."
"And we shall fully cooperate, Agent Wheatley. May I recommend the coffee in the waiting room. It's rather good for the instant stuff." the doctor added and Todd noted a hint of that tone doctors have when they are trying to calm down an irate patient: rather patronising.
"I want a report on his condition as soon as possible." The doctor nodded.
"Of course." he assured Todd before disappearing into Scofield's room again. Todd scowled.