Chapter 7

I can feel you through your lonely eyes, and I hope one day you'll understand how everything that hurt us was everything that made us who we are.  

Michael's P.O.V

At precisely 18:50 the plane came into view and the Federal Agent barked his orders to the surrounding guards. Michael held on tight to the underside of the vehicle and listened to the sound of gunfire and the dummy parachuted into the grounds. This was it.

He let go and rolled from underneath the car and away from the drama. The decoy had worked perfectly.

He moved quickly, making a beeline for the chapel. As he approached he saw two figures outside and he squinted to try and identify them. His heart skipped a beat as he recognised Sara and he thanks God that she had made it. But the other person?

His blood ran cold as he recognised her: Gretchen. What the hell was she doing here? Why had Sara not told him Gretchen was in there with her?

He ducked as a patrol vehicle came into view, moving slowly down the road, a flashlight shining out of the rolled down vehicle. Michael swore under his breath as the vehicle stopped outside the chapel. They would be caught and then all of this would be over.

"Don't move!" one of the guards cried and Michael's heart pounded in his chest. He watched helplessly as the guards approached the women, but was shocked when Gretchen moved forward, announcing herself to them. She went down on her knees and raised her hands. He couldn't hear the conversation, but the guards didn't seem to have noticed Sara, who had slipped silently into the chapel. Was Gretchen actually saving her? Sacrificing herself? That didn't seem likely.

But he felt himself relax slightly as the guards led Gretchen away. He waited until they were out of sight and ran to the chapel door. The door opened and Sara appeared, reaching down for something lying on the floor. It looked like some kind of necklace. He reached and grabbed her hand.

"Hey," he whispered as he pulled her inside.

He led her through the chapel and into the corridors beyond until they came to the metal double doors that led to the escape hatch.

"We're getting out through here?" asked Sara

"On the the other side is a kind of escape hatch for the Administration, in case of a riot."

"This is the same system we had in Fox River. That door can only be opened remotely from the central control."

"That's why we had to ask for help from T-Bag."

Sara didn't look impressed by that. But it was all down to Bagwell now. Michael was confident that the rat would do exactly as he had predicted. He could always rely on T-Bag to betray them.

The alarms suddenly fell silent. Sure enough, as Michael began to cut through the lock with the blow-torch, it was clear that the fire alarm had been disabled. It had worked.

Soon they were through the door and down into the bowels of the building. They passed the power box and he noted its location, hoping he wouldn't need to come back to it. He led her to the electronically sealed door. This was where it could all go horribly wrong. He honestly had no idea whether this was going to work.

"Beyond this door should be 100 yards of tunnel. At the other end of that is Linc, and after that there's a boat leading to white sand and blue water."

He retrieved the card and power source from his rucksack and in a manner far more confident than he was feeling he explained how this was going to work.

"A power surge to the system will override the reader for just a few seconds, long enough for you to open the hatch so be ready." he instructed

He connected it up and, holding his breath, swiped the card through the reader. Sara pulled on the door. Nothing. It hadn't worked.

"One more time."

They tried again. Nothing. Inside he was cursing in every language he knew to every God he could think of. His heart sank. There was only one way to get that door open now, and it meant only one of them would be leaving. Deep down he had known this was how it would end. It was why he had made the disc. He had instinctively assumed that he wouldn't be coming back from this. He had been right.

"I was afraid this might happen."

"It's ok. We're gonna keep moving, we're gonna to find another way out."

He barely heard her. The worst case scenario was happening right here, right now.

"I know what I have to do."

He led her back to the power box and pulled it open.

"So what do you wanna try?" she asked. He pointed to the main fuse.

"This is the main fuse. If I pull this, everything will go dark for a few seconds. When I reconnect these two cables...I reconnect these two cables...a lot of noise and every light bulb in the place is gonna blow and there is gonna be a loud noise. When that happens, I need you to open that hatch...and then I want you to start running."

"Ok." she nodded. "What about you?"

He didn't answer. He couldn't. She knew how to interpret his silence.

"Michael..." she began in protest.

"Sara...someone needs to stay here and someone needs to open the hatch, and that someone is gonna be you." she stared at him in horror as he spoke. She shook her head.

"Ok, so I'll leave it open for you."

"You don't understand...this is the only way."

She shook her head again.

"I'm not leaving unless you're coming with me." she told him firmly. He smiled softly and gently touched her belly, his heart breaking.

"I am coming with you." he whispered.

He could see all the hurt and pain inside her eyes as she told him, "but I love you."

His emotions spilled over and tears filled his eyes as he cupped her face in his hands.

"God I love you too." he kissed her for what he knew would be the last time. Everything he felt for her was in that kiss. He wanted to remember this one thing if he remembered nothing else. Let him remember her.

For a second there, with Sara in front of him, he was feeling a thousand different emotions all at once. It was both a blessing and a curse to feel everything so deeply.

"Go." he told. Her eyes wide, she shook her head, hesitating.

"Go!" he ordered.

And then, she walked away. And he felt nothing but numbness. He was tired of this rollercoaster masquerading his life. He just wanted to stop the ride. To get off. And he did:

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. All he could see was her: Sara. Free.

As the two cables moved towards each other, he held his breath. There was one almighty flash of light and then....darkness.