Chapter 6

We come and we go but none of us stay still enough to find the words we are meant to say

Michael's POV

Well, if you're watching this, I'm glad. Because that means you're safe.
And that's all I ever wanted.
I wish I could...be there with you.
But as you probably know now, I wouldn't have much time anyway, so...
I made my choice, and--I don't regret it.
Anyway, not too long from now, there's going to be another little Scofield running around.
And Linc, I want you to promise me, no matter what, they're going to grow up knowing their uncle is never far away.
And Sara, I want you to promise me that you're gonna keep an eye on Linc. As you may have noticed, he has the tendency to get in trouble.
You know we spend so much of our lives, not saying the things we want to say. The things we should say. We speak in code, we send little messages. Origami.
So now, plainly, simply, I want to say that I love you both.
Very much.
And I want you to promise me, that you're gonna tell my child, that you're gonna tell my child
how much they're loved every day. And remind them how lucky they are...
To be free. Because we are. We're free now. Finally. We're free.

Michael switched off the camera and sighed deeply. He buried his face in his palms and gently rubbed his temples. The dull ache there was distracting and had made it hard to think. He stared down at the notes he had been reading from with all the crossings-out and bits he had added or corrected.

It had taken three attempts to get it right, but he thought he had said everything he needed to. He crumpled up his notes, screwing them into a ball. He had just about managed to hold it together long enough to get the words out, but now the tears rolled freely down his face as he sobbed . He prayed that Sara and Linc would understand his choices; that this was his only choice.

He would give the disc to Mahone. He didn't want Linc, or even Sucre, to know what he was about to do. They wouldn't understand. They wouldn't let him go through with it. But he needed to do this, hoping that one day they would understand him better.

*

No one's POV

The wait to put the plan into action was unbearable, but everything was ready. The plane was waiting. Sucré was going to be wiring the money to T-Bag any minute and Michael was waiting to slip into the shadows whilst the Feds and guards were distracted by the dummy, parachuting into the grounds of the Prison. Lincoln and Mahone were waiting by the escape hatch door to drive Michael and Sara out of there.

Despite the setbacks within Gen Pop, Sara and Gretchen had managed to sneak their way out through the kitchen, using the riot as cover.