Imagine #99 Damon

You have cancer.

"60/40. 40 being the chance of survival, and 60 being the chance of death", you said, looking at the doctor for clarification.

" Yes", she said sympathetically.

"Well, we'll just have to beat the odds", you said, trying to smile. Trying and failing.
***
" We'll beat it ", Damon said, filling the silent air.

" Of course ", you said, squeezing his hand.

" We have to. Losing you isn't an option", he said, pulling you into a hug so you couldn't see how worried he looked.
***
"What's wrong with you mommy?", your six year old daughter asked, her eyes wide with worry.

You leaned against the bath, pressing your flushed cheek against the coolness of it.

" You know when me and dad told you I was sick? This is all part of it. Don't worry baby, I'm fine. Go watch TV", you said breathlessly, as you squeezed her hand.

"But..."

"Go my love. I'm okay".
***
" It's her seventh birthday. You have to get up Y/N. It could be yo-"

"My last chance to celebrate a birthday with my daughter. And you don't think I know that? I can't okay. I'm sore, it hurts, it all hurts", you said angrily.

" It's hurt worse before, and you've gotten up. You can get up. You need to get up", he said pleadingly.

"You need to leave me alone", you said, as you looked away.

Damon looked at the floor, giving a defeated sigh. He then walked downstairs, to your daughter. You lay weakly in bed, tears warming your cheeks. Then you removed the blankets as you got up, walking weakly to your dresser.

You looked at yourself in shock. You were sweating, ghostly pale, scarily skinny. You looked so sick. Felt so sick.

But you loved your daughter. And you knew that you wouldn't make it to her next birthday. So you walked into the bathroom, showered your body, dressed up, and put on some makeup. You tried.

And as you staggered downstairs, you smiled tiredly at her, at Stefan, Caroline, Bonnie, Ric, the twins, everyone who had gathered together.

And you looked at your beautiful, beautiful little girl, who gave you such an ecstatic grin that as you smiled in return, two happy tears fell down your cheek.

You felt Damon's arms snake around you as he hugged you from behind. And you smiled as he whispered three words softly in your ears.

" You got up".
***
"Come on. You have to go to the hospital", he said helplessly as you lay in bed.

" I want to die at home", you said, gently but firmly.

"Who the hell is talking about dying? No one's giving up Y/N!", he said, his voice breaking.

" Damon. I have days. At best. You need to accept that sweetheart ".

" No! No, I can't, I can't do that Y/N!", he shouted, as he pulled a lamp from your drawer and landed it on the floor with a violent crash. "Don't make me do that", he whispered, his eyes watering.
***
" I don't want you to die mommy", Y/D/N said, her lip trembling as she sat on the bed beside you.

"I know you don't sweetness. It's not fair. But, you know, even if you can't see me, I'll always be in here", you said, your hand on her heart. " Always. And you can talk to dad about me, anytime. You can talk to me. I won't be able to answer, but I will listen. I will be with you, always. I promise ", you said, your voice shaking.

" Don't leave me mommy", she said, as she burst into tears. She lay beside you, her arms around your waist. You stroked her hair with trembling hands.

"It's okay baby", you said, as tears blinded your vision. " It's okay".
***
"I can't say goodbye to you", he said, shaking his head. Your fingers softly traced the bags under his eyes.

" You haven't been sleeping. You need to look after yourself better after I'm gone. Look after our little girl okay?", you asked, your voice breaking. Damon's head rested on your shoulder as he sobbed. "Promise me Damon".

" I...I promise", he whispered.

"You made my life so happy. So on the bad days, you need to remember that. And there will be bad days. But you know, there will be good days too. Like Y/D/N's first crush. Or her prom. Wedding. Her kids. You'll be the the most handsome grandfather in existence", you said, as you gave him a tearful laugh. "Don't take those days for granted. Think of the positive things rather than the missing me part. I have a box of letters for Y/D/N. Give them to her when she's older. And I have some for you. Just to help you on the bad days. My favourite memories, how much I love you, that kind of mush", you smiled tiredly.

"Thank you for giving me a life", he managed to choke out. " The best life ever. You are my hope. My happiness. You always will be", he whispered.

You smiled as you wiped his tears. You lay in his arms, as you tiredly closed your eyes. You passed away that night.

A/N:Hope you liked! :)