//best fake smile\\

A/n: OMG ITS BEEN MONTHS BUT HEYYYYY. hope u like this one!!!

By: Justanotherlarry (ao3)

Summary:
Louis works in pediatrics and Harry is the new intern that he's training. They don't get along at first because Louis takes his job very seriously and Harry is so happy-go-lucky and always joking around with everyone and gets on Louis' last nerve. But after one long late night shift together things start to change.

No you don't have to wear your best fake smile
Don't have to stand there and burn inside

Summer 2013

"It is therefore ordered, adjudged and decreed by the Court that a Decree of Divorce is hereby granted to Louis William Tomlinson and Ethan Reece Fletcher and the marriage relationship existing between the parties is hereby terminated and held for naught and both parties are hereby released..."

Louis winced as the judge read the decree, the words echoing in the empty courtroom. Next to him was standing his lawyer, visibly detached that a marriage, a bond between two people who once loved each other and promised to spend the rest of their lives together was being torn apart and thrown away like a used tissue. Louis felt his heart shattering in a million pieces in his ribcage, puncturing his lungs, making him nauseous, not because he and Ethan were getting divorced, but by the fact that it was right at that moment that he realized that his lawyer's obvious detachment summarized the feelings of everyone that Louis knew had about this divorce: indifference.

When Louis told his friends, his family even, that he and who he had thought to be the love of his life were getting a divorce, no one looked surprised, as if since the first day their union had been doomed.

As if they knew that one night Louis would come home earlier from the hospital and find Ethan getting a blowjob by another man in their kitchen. In fact, they had been more surprised when Louis had announced that Ethan had popped the question. Apparently he had been the only one, that had believed that they could actually be a thing, that they could age together and still love each other after having built a life. And yet. Here they were, in this courtroom, both next to their respective lawyers, not daring to look at each other while a stranger was cutting them off from each other's life permanently. When they would exit the room, they would be two single men again, two strangers without anything to do with each other. And deep inside, Louis felt numb like he had since this whole mockery had begun.

Three years later - September 3rd 2015

Harry was napping on the couch in his and his best friend Niall's flat, lazing in the afternoon sunshine. The heat coming from the outside transforming him into some kind of cat/lizard creature, warming up his skin. The previous night they had gone out and went pretty hard. Much to Harry's dismay, he could hear steps making their way to him, and soon enough, Niall threw himself on the couch where Harry was lounging, half of his body landing on Harry's who exhaled a big ''Oof '' as a reward.

''So, who did you get? '' Niall asked.

Tomorrow their first semester of internship in a hospital would begin. Finally, after hours of classes in med school, essays and exams they would be able to experience the field. Having a good supervisor during your internship meant a lot and everyone was making a big deal about it, except for Harry. In fact, he hadn't checked his emails yet to see who his superior was.

''I don't know '' He said, trying to sound detached.

''What does that mean; you don't know? ''

Harry squeezed his face in his hands and rubbed his eyes, sighing.