Chapter 3

When I got home, I helped my mom make dinner. Dad just came home and was setting out the plates and utensils “I can’t believe that THAT was my nephew,” Mom kept muttering as she started layering the lasagna. I chuckled when her eyes went wide. After mom picked me up she wouldn’t stop going on and on about how huge Brandon was “What did his mother feed him as a child?” I didn’t say anything as I just stared out the window.

My phone went off as I wiped my hands on a dishtowel and went into the living room. Greg was on the other line and I smiled.

“Hey!”

“Hey Kay, listen your cousin is insane,” Greg dragged out.

“Why is he insane?”

“He dragged us to the quarry and jumped off the cliff into the water,” he said.

“Why were you at the quarry?”

“Uh,” Greg stuttered “Andre and I might have crashed a college party.”

“Uh huh,” I muttered “Were there college girls there?”

Greg chuckled and I scowled. Not the reaction I was looking for “Why, are you jealous?”

“No. I’m not. So what happened afterwards?”

“The next part is going to haunt me for the rest of my life babe,” Greg paused before taking a deep breath in “I saw my dad jump off the quarry’s cliff naked and I saw his…”

“Okay! You don’t need to tell me everything.” That’s just gross. Mom came into the living room and motioned me that dinner was ready “Babe, I gotta go. Dinner’s done. “

“Oh! Before I forget, my parents are throwing a themed party tonight at our house. My mom already called your mom so they already know. I just thought I’d let my beautiful girlfriend know.”

I blushed scarlet “You’re such a flirt Greg,” I said “so what’s the theme gonna be?”

“Eighties,” he said “But I’m gonna be late to it because work doesn’t end until eight tonight.”

I smiled “Okay, I’ll see you later babe.”

“Bye,” Greg hung up and I joined my parents at the dining room table.

We discussed party costumes ideas when dad said he wanted to go as Marty McFly from the Back to the Future movies and mom laughed. Back to the Future is one of his favorite movies of all time. Mom decided to go as Joan Jett. When dinner ended, I still didn’t know what I was going to dress as.

“Hey mom,” I asked as we were cleaning up “Can I go down to the Ice Cream House? Greg’s working tonight and I want to surprise him.”

“Yeah, just be back before the party starts.”

“Will do,” I replied.

Before I could leave, the television caught my eye. On the TV was Pat Benatar’s video for Love Is a Battlefield and I smiled. I had a dress that looked so much like the one she was wearing that I finally had an idea for the party. Hopefully my idea wasn’t the idea of someone else’s.

When I got there, no one was in line. I wasn’t really surprised when I saw Dickie Bailey working there. He had so many jobs; it was hard to keep up. You’d get whiplash just thinking about it.

“You’ve got a customer,” he said pointing to me and Greg turned around but his head was down.

“I’m sorry. Welcome to the Ice Cream House,” Greg stopped and the ice cream cones he had got mushed in his hands.